Sunday 12 February 2023

HE'S HUFFING AND HE'S PUFFING .....

 Well, the big storm has started. The house has been shaken by strong gusts and rain is driving against the windows. This isn't the worst of it yet with Monday forecast to be the big day.

We've already lost most of a feijoa tree that is at the rear of the property.


The smaller piece blown up next to the house

The gap where the feijoa tree was

The larger piece

I moved the two pieces down to behind the trailer so that the wind doesn't launch them through the windows. They were quite heavy and it's amazing that they were blown so far from the tree.

I kitted myself out in waterproof trousers and rain slicker with hood and had to battle the wind and rain. Some gusts were so strong I had to take shelter behind a large tree in case any wind-borne projectiles tore my head of. I had visions of those lengths of corrugated roofing iron I saw flying around like paper in the 1968 Wahine storm. That was scary.

There's no doubt that this storm will be the worst that we've experienced in the 14 years we've been here. I can hear bangs and crashes outside and will have to constantly check around our house and the neighbours. I told my sister that I'd check on their holiday house a few bays away from ours but the road might be impassable at present.

Hey-ho!

5 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

You be safe, my old friend.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

The storm is getting worse.

"Hail Mary full of grace ....."

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Hope you got through the night!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

It's been pretty wild. We have a big and solid house but some of the gusts shook it.
We' lost power at 4AM and it only just came back on 12 hours later.
There's a lull at the moment but a forecast that we'll get another hammering tonight. I hope we don't lose power again. Auckland I believe is getting it now but it might weaken before it gets to Wellington.

Get on the roof and clear your guttering just in case!

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

My guttering always overflows but I bought 10 paving stones and placed them on the southerly side of the bedroom where the covering has a tendency to lift!