Saturday 18 February 2023

THERE'S A MAN WITH A GUN OVER THERE ...

 


Something woke me early this morning - it sounded like a gunshot.

Bleary-eyed I got  and went out into the hallway, making my way to the kitchen.





Out of the corner of my eye I thought I saw someone in the back porch, wearing a yellow coat and carrying a gun.




Yoicks!

I rubbed the sleep from my eyes and saw that it was just my yellow raincoat that I've had to use during the cyclone and a hiking pole that are  hanging on the door.


The power of imagination eh? Also, being woken from a dream added to it.


"There's something happening here
But what it is ain't exactly clear
There's a man with a gun over there
Telling me I got to beware"

         - For What It's Worth by Buffalo Springfield 

I love this song which became an anthem in protest against The Vietnam War back in the 1960s.

Checking Neighbourly on the internet I read that others in the area reported gunshots at 6.30AM and wondered  what was happening here. Apparently, believe it or not, today is the opening of paradise duck shooting season which lasts to 26 February. I've never heard of this as a thing and am not happy about it. At tennis we have a pair of paradise ducks who live nearby. I hope that they are safe. Bloody stupid hunters!




4 comments:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Surely they are not allowed to hunt so close to residences!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

We are designated rural.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Lots of rowers on the Waikato river at 6.30am. I wonder if these people are also cyclists?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Don’t run them over.