Monday 6 February 2023

HANDYMAN

 



Nice song that.

I'm not really much of a handyman and generally cock-up house alterations and projects. This is mainly because I'm lazy and not OCD so tend to be a bit slap-dash.

There's been a job I've been waiting to do for some time now but have been waiting for The Old Girl to be away. Initially she was planning to be in the UK this year and, when that was delayed decided on Christchurch. The Christchurch posting has also been delayed but looks like it might happen in a couple of months. This week however she's in Wellington so I decided to do the job.

A couple of window ledges at the end of the house need painting - one in the bathroom and the other in the 'lounge' area. Sounds simple? It is per se but The Old Girl is a perfectionist (OCD?) and demands a higher standard than I usually aspire to. Both ledges need stripping and sanding down prior to painting. This I did today - to my standards. I didn't strip down all of the ledges, just the 'offending' bits. I sanded the sections down to smoothly connect with the painted areas that I'm leaving alone. It's now time to paint.



I got the paint and brushes out from the basement but then thought that I'd better take steps to not splash paint where it's not needed. I laid out a drop cloth on the floor (an old sheet that I hope that she doesn't need) but then discovered that I'm out of painter's tape to ensure I don't put paint on the glass and walls. I'll have to go to a hardware store tomorrow to buy some.

I'm hoping to get this job completed and the paint dried before she gets home otherwise she will do it again or, worse, will make me do it again.






4 comments:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Mmmm. I normally get away with a quick sand and paint, Sue doesn't mind ridges! In your case I think you have done very well.
Should be safe!

Richard (of RBB) said...

I was wrong to criticize some of your other series. This is much worse.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Thank you both*.









* Some more than others.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Lynn called on Facetime a few minutes ago.
As we were chatting she asked "have you been painting?"

I prevaricated but then had to confess to what I was doing and that I had put a quick undercoat on and will finish tomorrow.
I couldn't work out how she knew but she told me that she'd noticed paint on my hands. I must have passed my hand over the phone screen while talking. She doesn't miss much.