Saturday 17 February 2018

NEVER LET TRUTH GET IN THE WAY OF A GOOD STORY # 1 THE HEX

I went kayaking yesterday. I made the longest trip since I sold my trusty old yellow kayak nearly five years ago before we went to Canada.

The new kayak I have is pretty good (not as good as that old one though which I wish that I hadn't sold) and I decided to give it a work out. The bay was very calm as I headed out. It was after high tide and would be a few hours to low tide. As I headed out around the first point the water got a bit choppier but I generally hugged the coast and made my way past all of the bays towards the last bay, Urquharts before the entrance to the Heads and the big ocean.

Urquharts Bay

The channel was pretty deep at parts as this is where the big oil tankers come in to Marsden Point refinery and at points there was some big swell. At Urquharts I turned around and headed back home. The outgoing tide and the headwind that had come out made the return a lot more difficult than the trip out. I was utterly stuffed when I got back to McLeod Bay (not Cloudy Bay as Robert seems to think I live) and I beached the kayak and wallowed around in the water for a while. I've got to learn to take things in small steps. Last night my back, buttocks and shoulders ached but this, I guess suggests that the exercise must have been doing the old body good.


*****************  

Whangarei harbour around the Heads is made up of many beaches, little islands and sandbanks that become exposed at low tide. Earli in my trip as I was making my way along a large pleasure craft came barrelling along unnecessarily close to me. The bastard had the whole fucking harbour to use but no, this tosser, his mate and his stupid fat wife had to come by me at speed. The bow wave rocked my kayak a bit and I called out "I hope you hit something and sink you bastard!"

About a couple of hundred metres on (or whatever the maritime measure is) the said pleasure craft made a 'graunching' sound and ran aground on a part of a sandbank. I had to laugh as I skirted well around the bank, keeping to deeper water. It was funny to see the three of them standing in knee high water trying to rock the boat back into deeper water. It was an outgoing tide so things would only get worse.

On my return past the spot the boat had gone - unfortunately not sunk as they'd obviously got it away or had some assistance with a tow but I thought "Wow! My hex ability is pretty good, I'll have to try it again sometime"



*****************


True or False?

3 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

The first half of this post was up there with the outside chair blowing over story. Well done!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

So true or false?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

It was true.