Saturday 21 July 2018

LITTLE HITLERS



"LITTLE HITLER
A self-important person who wields a small amount of official authority with despotic zeal"
 - The New Partridge Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English


I used to disparage tennis club committees because of the Little Hitlers who seem to gravitate to these and swore to never join one.

I do belong to a casual weekday tennis 'club' but fortunately there is no committee and no meetings where arguments can arise.

I recently joined (and later resigned from) a local association which although it spent a lot of time on mundane matters wasn't run by Little Hitlers. I resigned for another reason.

I joined a bowling club last year and this year (unrelated) it is going through some problems of financial management and funding. There is a Little Hitler at this club who definitely fits the definition above. At a special meeting that was just held though he wasn't in attendance so might be getting the old 'heave-ho'.

A community club I belong to, sort of like a Cosmopolitan Club has an AGM coming up next month. Yesterday I received a lot of emails - a couple from the officers of the club desperately trying to explain their recent actions (kind of like Donald Trump trying to weasel out of his Helsinki press conference remarks):


and others from disgruntled members who are having problems with the club and who are calling for impeachment of the president and the governing committee. It's going to be a doozy of an AGM. I think I'll go to watch the fireworks. Last year I was tempted to put my name forward for the committee but am now glad that I didn't do so.

The golf club I belong to obviously has a committee and being golf this has the usual blowhards and I'm sure some Little Hitlers. I don't get involved preferring to just be a casual member who plays a few solitary rounds.

Life's too short to get involved with officious little organisations which spend an inordinate amount of time in making up silly rules.








3 comments:

THE CURMUDGEON said...

We've been inundated with comments relating to this post but our sophisticated technology has deleted all of the comments so far - a fact that has just come to my attention.

I checked up with our resident expert THE CURMUDGEONLY LUDDITE (https://thecurmudgeonlyluddite.blogspot.com/) and he advised that only comments that actually have relevance to the Post can be published.
He passes on apologies to unsuccessful commenters like Aunt Daisy, Doubting Thomas, Robert's News, Donald Trump, Eddie The Eagle and Jesus Christ.

THE CURMUDGEONLY LUDDITE also suggested that we change the comments invitation to:

"OK, IF YOU MUST BUT MAKE IT RELEVANT."

Thank you.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Gosh, it's all go up north! We other bloggers love reading you fascinating posts but sometimes we wonder if you should consider a random post deletion process as practised by other blogs. There is a kit for random deletes available at pleasedeletethispost.co.nz.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

May we please direct you to the comments invitation:

"OK, IF YOU MUST BUT MAKE IT RELEVANT."