Wednesday 4 July 2018

WEDNESDAY MORNING

I played golf today for the first time in months.
It was November last year when I fell down the bank and damaged my knee which appears to be permanent. HERE
I can still play tennis, badminton, bowls, golf and go walking but the knee causes me a bit of pain and my mobility isn't what it used to.

This morning, early, I headed off to my local golf club to play in the Wednesday morning tournament.
I don't usually play in any of the organised events, preferring to just go out and have a bash on my own but a neighbour who plays talked me in to it.
It was cold as hell (eh?) and the greens were covered in frost. I like this though as you can see the tracks that the ball makes when you putt. I only played 9 holes as I'm a 9-hole member ($480 a year instead of $800) and left the other three players to go on to the second 9.

It was OK but golf has it's own etiquette and culture which I don't really ascribe to. They are sticklers for the rules for a start (and make you count all your shots). There is a kind of blokish camaraderie that makes all the people seem older than they are. In the case of the Wednesday tournament however I think I was the youngest there.



I think I'll just potter about on my own in future and will think hard about whether I join again for the coming year. I've only played 3 times in 8 months so far which makes it $160 a round.

1 comment:

Richard (of RBB) said...

That was a bit like one of my music practice posts - you know no one else really gives a shit but you write it anyway. Well done.