Monday 27 August 2018

THE TIMES ARE STILL A - CHANGIN'

I went to Auckland for the weekend. The Old Girl arrived home from Canada on Saturday morning so I went down to meet her.

We had a nice early evening meal at our favourite Mezze on Saturday night - Marrakesh chicken salad for her and Spanish Tuna Dip for me - both yummy -




 ........   before watching the rugby on live TV in the apartment.

"I reckon you only come to visit me in Auckland on the weekends now because we get Sky Sport in the new apartment" she accused me.

"Not fair!" I said. "Bob Dylan's also playing tomorrow night".

And, sure enough we'd booked for Dylan on Sunday night at The Arena.




This was a stunning performance with Dylan deconstructing and then reconstructing a cross section of his songs to create something new and excitingly different. Some of the audience slow on the uptake only recognized songs when they were more than half-way through and then burst out in applause.

It appealed to us with chunky phrasing and different key changes sprinkled with some recognisable phrases. Magic.

The band were outstanding. You got the feel that they really love getting in and putting their stamp on these Dylan 'recreations' and not just replicating the songs as heard on the albums.

I hope that you can find some recordings on YouTube of his current show circuit.

For a pathetic review of the Auckland concert read this prat Jacques Steenkamp:


PRAT REVIEW


No, on second thoughts don't read that but try and find a review written by someone who really knows their music - maybe like  this guy Bob Gordon:

BOB GORDON







11 comments:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
THE CURMUDGEON said...

So.
Casting aspersions on my musical appreciation are we?

Richard (of RBB) said...

All music is good. Actually, as I grow older, I realise how little I know.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Well, not ALL music is good. I heard a few at the open mic concert last night who should have done more practice.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Practice?
If they were in the act of 'practising' then shouldn't you have written 'practise'.

THE CURMUDGEON'S INC. (Alawys seeking clarity).

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Actually I've got fuck all musical knowledge and a little bit of appreciation ....'Ooo, I like a nice tune - you're forced to'.

I was just winding Robert up.

The Dylan concert was, I think, well worth going to to experience the changes he's made on his journey.
We saw him in about 1999 in Christchurch where he double-billed with Patti Smith. Both concerts were good - just different.

Richard (of RBB) said...

I actually used 'practice' the noun because that is the name of what I did. When I practise my instruments I use the verb. I think it's called 'The Queen's English'.

It is a misconception to think that one needs performance skills to properly appreciate music. Just like, when I go to an art gallery - and I know nothing about art, I can confidently decide what appeals and what doesn't. My wife claims to be tone death (I proved she isn't). When we go to a music event I always eagerly await her opinion. Her head isn't tied up with crotchets, major and minor thirds or how you get a top C on a trumpet. She just notices how it makes her feel. That is the point.

In my time I've seen NZSO players who have struggled to play jazz, I've struggled with backing vocals, I've wondered how the hell anyone could ever remember and play a concerto, I've come to appreciate that there are hidden skills in performing different types of music that I just didn't realise were there.

Music is diverse.

A week or so back I went to see a friend who has dementia. They put on this DVD of music from the 50s, 60s and 70s. I never realised I knew so many of those 'pop' songs and I really enjoyed the music and realised how much part of my life those songs were. Any music that does something for you is good.

I have spent years playing and listening to jazz. Often, when I go to a jazz performance, I know nearly all the tunes very well and I imagine that it must feel like that when other people go to listen to Pink, or a rapper, or whoever.


The Curmudgeon, don't put down your musical appraisal skills. You have listened to a lot of music from lots of different genres. Your ears deserve to be trusted.


If someone else paints your house and you've never painted a house yourself, can you decide whether it looks pleasing or not?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Good points.

I was just being obtuse about that practice/practise thing.

I find that with Lynn too, ex schoolteachers get a bit OCD when someone around them mangles 'the Queen's English'.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Richard (of RBB) said...

"I think you have him on the back foot ... "don't let that sword sleep in your hands"."
Now I believe that the bible isthe word of god.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Do you?
I'm still confused.