Wednesday 15 August 2018

GENETIC MEMORY 2

This evening I listened to Brian Crump interviewing Morna Young.

Morna Young is a playwright, actress and musician from a wee fishing village in the North East of Scotland. She's currently in New Zealand being hosted by BATS Theatre and Toi Poneke as part of the Playwright International Exchange which is a joint venture by Creative Scotland and Creative New Zealand.



Morna hails from the North-East of Scotland near Aberdeen (where The Old Girl was born). She talked of the area and its similarities to New Zealand and how she has an affinity to here.

Crump (born in New Zealand) recounted how years ago when he lived for a few years in England there was a particular place (Morecombe I think he said) where he really felt most at home. He later discovered that the Crump family originated from there may years ago before emigrating to New Zealand.

Genetic memory?

Yes, I believe in that and wrote a post on it a few years back.

See:  GENETIC MEMORY



1 comment:

Richard (of RBB) said...

I reread your last post. Interesting.
Why do I have this huge pull to Italia?
I used to play Roman soldiers when I was young - I made a helmet out of paper mache and my mum made me a red cloak.
I think my early ancestors probably came from Devon, that that's only what I have heard. I had an Irish grandmother too.
I don't have an answer.
I do have one experience of a slightly different kind. When my dad died I was playing a gig in Auckland and would head further north on the next day.
I remember on that gig feeling a huge pull to Wellington. I found out about my dad the next day when I arrived in the Bay of Islands. I honestly don't know what it means but it was a strong feeling at the time. Not really genetic memory though.