Saturday 22 June 2019

CORDUROY

Corduroy. Well you might think that this is a strange topic for a post but read on.

It's cold here today and the first strains of winter are showing with mists and creeping cold that reminds me of our days in Christchurch in the 90s. I haven't lit a fire but have put on warm clothing.
I fossicked in the drawers and put on a long sleeved merino wool tee shirt with a cotton tee shirt over top of that. For trousers I put on my tartan cotton ones that I bought in UK a couple of years ago.



While warmer and more comfortable than jeans, these aren't exactly what I need to wear in this weather. I was thinking more of corduroys and can't remember when I last had a decent pair.
I discussed with The Old Girl and she did a Google search on her phone which showed that there really isn't a lot on offer in the shops. She found some in a fancy-shmancy shop but these were nearly $500 a pair. I'm not paying that. The ones that I've seen in the less fancy shops are poor imitations of those of the past. They are made of thin and inferior material and haven't looked particularly warm.

I used to wear corduroy trousers when I was at university. Richard did too but his were red and not exactly a 'babe-magnet'. They did attract interest but usually from the other team.

It's time for New Zealand retailers to rediscover corduroy as they have overseas, albeit in a small way.

See:

HISTORY OF CORDUROY


















This post brought to you by Superpants.





6 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

I've just done a much more interesting post but thanks for producing the B side.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Linen and denim.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Leather and lace.

Richard (of RBB) said...

I'll read this post again before going to sleep. Thanks.

Richard (of RBB) said...

What did I read last night?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Probably this:

1,003 Great Things About Getting Older by Lisa Birnbach, Patricia Marx, David Owen, Ann Hodgman (1997)