Monday 8 June 2020

"WE SKIPPED THE LIGHT AND DANGLED" *


I played 7 holes of golf this afternoon - BRILLIANTLY.
Sometimes I manage to put together a really good round and this was one of them.

  • Every tee shot of the 7 was near perfect. 
  • I didn't lose any golf balls. 
  • I found 6 golf balls.
  • My approach shots were spot on.
  • I putted well.
  • I ended up 1 under par having birdied two holes
One of the birdies was on a par 4 hole that I've never birdied before. There's a great big oak tree just short of and left of the green that makes hitting it in two difficult. My drive was great and so was my second shot which was curving around to the green until, as usual it hit the tree. This time though it managed to bounce through the tree and land on the green close to the pin. One putt and bingo! A birdie.

The reason for the reference to 'A Whiter Shade Of Pale' is because on  one of the holes the opening lines came into my head, or, at least, the misheard line "I skipped the light and dangled'.
This was because my drive went into the pond but, due to the low trajectory, the ball skipped off the surface of the water and landed on the fairway allowing an easy shot to the green.







I used to mishear this line of Procul Harum's from 'A Whiter Shade Of Pale'.
It was really: We skipped the light fandango.

Misheard song lyrics are called 'mondegreens' which seems appropriate.

6 comments:

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I don't believe it.
I just finished this post and now I hear on the radio - National- 'A Whiter Shade Of Pale' playing. How weird's that?

Richard (of RBB) said...

Well done The Curmudgeon! We at Richard's Bass Bag* are very proud of you.



* the original bass bagging site

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Thank you.

Is there a trophy or some kind of award on the way?

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

"I ended up 1 under par having birdied two holes."

I do not get why golfers can not just do 9 holes in one.

It's like a violinist saying I fluffed up only one solo then I played the right notes over almost all the chords except two.


You need to practise and get it perfect!

Richard (of RBB) said...

Actually, it's not like that at all. Especially for an improvising violinist. It's all about getting into the zone, just like golfers and other sportsmen do.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

It doesn't surprise me Robert, given your support for fascists and right wing authoriterian leaders, that you would say something like "I do not get why golfers can not just do 9 holes in one". Your no doubt poster boy Kim Yong Un is reported (by his fawning press) to have done something just like that when he played golf for the first time.