Monday 15 June 2020

STICK MAN

I bought a FIZAN Explorer hiking pole yesterday from Katmandu.


It's a nifty little bit of kit that was useful yesterday.

I had gone out to Petone - aka Robzone - to meet up with Richard and Shelley to watch the rugby on-screen at a pub. Hiking, exploring and Katmandu all were relevant words as the getting there proved to be a bit of a trek.

I left the apartment at about 2PM with plans to get to Petone by 3PM.
I went to the bus-stop in Manners street which is only a few metres away from the end of our lane. I waited, with other people for about 20 minutes for a bus, which is unusual for central Wellington, until someone came along and said that all busses were being diverted because of the 'Black Lives Matter' march.

I walked down to the end of Victoria Street and back across to Willis street and caught a bus to the station there. This bus joined stop-start traffic which was being held up by the march down Lambton Quay and took a half hour to get anywhere near the train station so I jumped off the bus and walked the rest. This jarred my knee a bit as I'd hurt it playing tennis a couple of weeks back. I arrived at the station to discover that trains were not running to Lower Hutt and were replaced by busses. I toddled along to the bus stop and saw the bus I wanted for Petone pulling away. The bus monitors said there would be a 30 minute wait for the next bus to Petone. After 25 minutes some busses arrived and I and others wanting to go to Petone were directed onto a bus only, after a 10 minute wait, to be shooed off because "sorry, this bus won't stop at Petone" and put on another bus and an obligatory 10 minute wait. Eventually I arrived at Petone Train station which, in the spirit of Monty Python's Cheese Shop sketch was uncontaminated by trains. I set off walking up Jackson street.

A little way along I saw a Kathmandu store which, no surprises there, were having a 50% off sale. I went in and purchased the hiking stick as I knew that this would help in walking and take the weight off my painful knee injury. I thought $39 marked down from $79 was a very good price and am happy with the purchase. The salesman put a street walking attachment on the bottom which will protect the carbon tip.

Good old Richard was outside the pub waiting for me (and missing vital parts of the game) as I arrived. While Shelley bought me a beer I successfully managed to distract Richard enough to miss a Wellington try (which were very scarce in this game against Auckland). I showed him my hiking stick and he was very impressed. I know he likes such things having been given some by an old geezer - see SLIP SLIDIN' AWAY

I didn't get much of a chance to try out the FIZAN Explorer as R and S kindly drove me back to Wellington. I'll get out and about today to give it a workout.

7 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

I bought two sticks from that shop a while back as I do quite a bit of hill walking. I gave one to a mate as I've found that one generally does the trick and you don't look like a skier when out walking. They're great for coming down steep slopes. I don't generally use the rubber bit because I'm younger than The Curmudgeon by quite a few weeks.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

12 days = less than 2 weeks

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

There was a time when young men were proud to carry walking sticks as a fashion statement. Now we call them hiking sticks.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Two more masses and you'll be kinder but less smart.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

I doubt if attending Mass will affect my already appalling IQ.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Maybe not attending mass and doing some independent thinking might help. Maybe study a language? Why did Jesus inflict you with this thinking problem? Isn't he supposed to help?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Stay at home and read The Lord of the Rings and other fantasy books. It's the same thing really.