Thursday 11 June 2020

WELLINGTON

I'm in Wellington today having come down last night.

It's a lovely day here - for Wellington that is where, on a sunny early winter day you can get by only wearing long trousers and two or three layers - if you stay in the sunshine and out of the wind.


The Wellington city designers however, in their wisdom laid out the city so that 3 or more of the major shopping streets run north to south - Willis Street, Featherston Street and Lambton Quay. These are lined with tall buildings that have the effect of creating wind tunnels that all too readily bring the wonderful Wellington southerlies to pedestrians. Travelling east to west along a link street and then, turning a corner into one of the north to south streets is like visiting Siberia.


I'd just had a haircut snipping away the few hairs that I have left and the cold blast reminded me of my time in Toronto.

Richard from Richard's Bass Bag* rang as I was battling my way along Willis Street. I couldn't hear him until I discovered that I had the volume of the phone turned down. Even after I rectified that and ducked into Chews lane it was still hard hearing and being heard. I was yelling into my phone at my end, drawing worried glances from passers by and he was doing the same thing at his end - apparently sitting in the car waiting for Shelley.

This is the start of a 2 week adventure in Wellington. All good so far or will be after I've bought some winter woolies.








" Which Richard claims to be the original bass bagging site which no-one has bothered to fact check.

4 comments:

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I purchased some Mazzoni 'lounge pants' and a matching t shirt which some people unfairly might describe as 'pyjamas'. ever mind, I'll only be wearing these in the apartment.
I might do a post about these with some images later. Stay posted.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Silly you. No one goes to Wellington unless they have to work or stupidly buy an apartment high over the narrow ex haunts of china town or the Salvation Army's emergency shelter.

Sensible folk live in the Hutt where the temperature is always 2 degrees higher and there are acres of parks, more supermarkets than Wellington can blink an eye at, and of course the Hutt River.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

But what about the delights of Courtenay Place and Cuba Street?

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

I suppose you might run into Winston Peters or Bobby.