Wednesday 29 September 2021

BORED? THREE

 Yes, I know - I said that I wouldn't do another 'Bored?' golf post but I thought you might like to know that I played golf again today.

The Old Girl suggested that I go. 

"Why don't you go out and play with your new toys?"  she asked today, obviously wanting to get me out of the house for a while because she had a couple of conference calls scheduled.

I took the hint and headed out after lunch.

The new clubs performed really well and I hit some great tee and fairway shots. I hit them so well though that I lost 3 balls - on the fairway. My usual shots had a tendency to slice so I'm used to looking to the right of the fairway to see where the balls go. These new clubs hit the ball straighter and slightly to the left (because I aim there) so I wasn't following the flight path properly. Three times in the first four holes my tee shot disappeared. The balls took off well but when I looked for them on the fairway they were nowhere to be seen - obviously suckered. My follow-up shots were good though and I enjoyed trying out the various clubs.


The irons hit the ball true and I was confident with the putter but ......THREE BALLS DOWN!

On the last hole I played, my favourite the par 4 that runs alongside the creek I spied three balls in the water. I quickly went down and, with my trusty ball retriever* fished them out. EVEN. I was happy.

But wait! There's more.

As I went down to the creek I was attacked by an aggressive pukeko.


This little bastard kept having a go at me and I had to chase him off several times. He would wait until my back was turned and then fly up at me. I had to extend the ball retriever and wave it about like a light sabre to get him away. I know that there must have been a nest nearby that he was protecting but ...... three golf balls! I knew what was my priority.


 



* The trusty ball retriever.




3 comments:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

You obviously read my post about Ricky Gervais and how everyone loves a fool. Well done.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Bloody native birds, they think they own the place! Another riveting and fantastic post. Oh, I love golf! Though the ball retrieval bit fills my heart with most joy!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Thanks.
I'd use this comment as an accolade on my blog's main page but the grammar is a bit suspect. I appreciate the sentiment though.