Thursday 9 September 2021

INSPIRATION

 Well, I never would have believed that Robert could have given me inspiration but - he did.

In my last post Richard, the non-registered teacher made a silly and unnecessary comment:


This was followed by Robert commenting:

I guess, against my better judgement I need to reproduce Robert's post here to make sense of that.

Here we go.

Careful!

"OF PERFECTION

So why did God just not make us perfect from the start and why does He allow suffering?", is a question I've heard a blogger ask recently. In my heart I've always sensed an absurdity in this question.

Listening to Jordan Peterson, a Canadian clinical psychiatrist and professor, I heard an explanation, be it unwittingly on his part.
Jordan Peterson said "Being is maybe a paradoxical state where there is just enough limitation to maximize (sic) possibility. If limitation is the precondition for being then that introduces suffering. If you want being where possibility is maximised then you have to accept the limitations that produce tragedy!". He then gave an example using a rugby field. The only way to maximise possibility is to limit the size of the playing area. Meaning, I think, that if you want to be the best rugby player in the world you will never achieve this if the rugby field is infinite because any one can score.

Pizza "American" with sauce.

          - Robert (A Catholic's View). 

Well if you can interpret what Jordan Peterson is saying in that quote then you are much better than me.

I understand what Robert said - at least about his dinner although why his pizza comes with sauce is a mystery.

What I pick up on is Robert's mention of the absurd. "In my heart I've always sensed an absurdity in this question." 
In my studies many years ago) I read that the concept of  'The Absurd ' was floated by Albert Camus and expanded (and critiqued) by Jean-Paul Sartre.

Sartre’s Take On Absurdity

Sartre defines absurdity as divorce, or discrepancy. The phrase “it doesn’t add up” comes to mind. He pushes the concept further, gives it another name: “our inability to conceive, using our concepts and our words, what goes on in the world.” Words are part of the game we play with one another, so what better way to represent the feeling of the absurd than to do so in terms of our ineffability with regard to it? If Mersault is a man because he speaks seldom and has little to say, he is a man insofar as he embraces the absurdity of the situations into which he is placed — that is, insofar as he is not getting wrapped up in things.

OK?

CAMUS



SARTRE




 



3 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Okay.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

I always thought of you as an intellectual.
You post cartoons you've copied from the internet.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Okay.