Friday 26 May 2023

"BY THE WATERS OF ... WAIAPU"

 Richard quite rightly criticised our national anthem 'God Defend New Zealand' in his latest post. I say 'quite rightly' because it is a meaningless mishmash of religious gibberish and maudlin sentimentality. We need to dump it. It belongs in a pre-Commonwealth Dominion past. The Maori language version of it is slightly better but still fawns to a now redundant British monarchy and references a mythical being that has no relevance to the majority of New Zealanders.

Short of penning a brand new one with the attendant fights and squabbles and difficulties in gaining a consensus that this would bring, why not use a current song that has resonance with many New Zealanders and is old enough to have tradition.

Forget all the pop songs no matter how good some of them are from the likes of Dave Dobbyn. Tim Finn, Neil Finn and others and look at ... Pōkarekare Ana.

"Pōkarekare Ana" is a traditional New Zealand love song, probably communally composed about the time World War I began in 1914. The song is written in Māori and has been translated into English. It enjoys widespread popularity in New Zealand as well as some popularity in other countries.  - Wikipedia.



Pōkarekare ana
ngā wai o Waiapu,
Whiti atu koe hine
marino ana e.

They are agitated
the waters of Waiapu,
If you cross over girl
they will be calm.
E hine e
hoki mai ra.
Ka mate ahau
I te aroha e.
Oh girl
return to me,
I could die
of love for you.
Tuhituhi taku reta
tuku atu taku rīngi,
Kia kite tō iwi
raru raru ana e.
I've written my letter
I've sent my ring,
so that your people can see I'm troubled.
Whatiwhati taku pene
ka pau aku pepa,
Ko taku aroha
mau tonu ana e.
My pen is shattered,
I have no more paper
But my love
is still steadfast.
E kore te aroha
e maroke i te rā,
Mākūkū tonu i
aku roimata e.
Never will my love
be dried by the sun,
It will be moistened
by my tears.

 

Who cares that it's a love song and doesn't have 'strife and war' and 'nations' and 'god' in it? It's lovely and evocative and will certainly stand out when used in domestic or international events. We won't need the English version, just the Maori words. If people complain about the fact that they can't understand what's being sung just remind them of this incomprehensible gibberish - "God of Nations at Thy feet, in the bonds of love we meet".

No doubt Robert won't be happy but I challenge him to listen to this:




3 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Hey, I'm in total agreement. The perfect song (in Maori) too.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Great video too.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Thanks you. Martin would be proud of it.