Thursday 18 May 2023

I'M OVER FANCYSCHMANCY

 Yesterday I went into the city. My back was sore but I figured that a walk would do me good. It did - to a point. It was a long steep walk down from the hills to the main road into town where I jumped on a bus. I'd arranged to meet The Old Girl at 5.30 and stupidly had left too early - about 11 so I had hours of walking about. I did this with difficulty, in discomfort and pain and, at the art gallery had to take the lift to the first floor. The exhibitions were great though with a 'pen and ink' display of NZ prints and lithography over the last 100 years featuring many of our famous artists. In another exhibition I discovered a very scary print by a German artist Käthe Kollwitz who painted anti-Nazi themes in the 1930s. This was a powerful piece and reading of her on-line today I saw that she did many works with death and politics as a theme (her son was killed in WW1) and she witnessed terrible things  before and during WW2.

This lithograph depicts death flying down to seize two children while a third manages to escape. I found it to be very moving.

'Throng of children'.



As I was hobbling around town I fancied a sandwich for lunch and checked out at least a half dozen cafes and food places. Everything on offer was 'fancy-schmancy' and over-priced. I didn't want a jazzed up bruschetta with salad on the side or over-sized muffins let alone giant sausage rolls and croissants. I wanted a sandwich - just an ordinary one. Eventually I wandered back to the bus interchange where I'd arrived into the central city and found this:

Phat Phillip's food bar

I bought a pack of two bacon and egg sandwiches for $4.50. They were delicious. Phat Philip offered me a free coffee as well. Now that's what I was looking for.



5 comments:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

When I first read 'fancy-schmancy' I thought you meant fratricide! I'm listening to too many Second World War books!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

"When I first read 'fancy-schmancy' I thought you meant fratricide!"

Really?
I hate to think what other words you misconstrue when reading:

Train substation instead of transubstantiation.
Cat lickers instead of Catholics.
Base bogging instead of bass bagging.
Confusion instead of confession.
Yo Christ! instead of Eucharist.
Our lady of the petrol sucker instead of Our Lady of perpetual succour.

The list can go on ...

Richard (of RBB) said...

Good to see you boys having fun.

Look after your back, old fella.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Feeling better this evening although the 'Tipping Point' Hawkes Bay Chardonnay might have something to do with that.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Chardonnay helps most things.