Monday 15 May 2023

AND HERE WE GO AGAIN

 




I've complained before about how modern electric appliances are needlessly complicated compared to the simple analog tools that we used before the digital age. These have particularly been TV and video remotes and computer set-ups.

The latest that I'm battling with are electrical timers. 

I have a couple of models - Kambrook and Goldair.

Kambrook


Goldair

Both are diabolically difficult to programme.

I've kept the instruction pamphlet for the Goldair but frankly it'd be better to follow the instructions from any IKEA assembly or Robert's Catechism for as much sense as it makes.



I have long lost the instructions for the Kambrook and had to go to the internet for set up instructions. I found this:


If you enlarge the above screenshot you will see that the instructions on the right have no connection with the actual buttons on the device.

Here's an enlargement for you. There isn't a bloody 'clock' or 'prog' button to press. Sheesh!

I give up. I think I'll just leave all the lights on when I go to visit The Old Girl in Christchurch.

9 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Come on, you can do better than this!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

No, not today, it's not my day.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Today is a new day.
I hope you're having a good one.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Why do you want an electrical timer at all. You live at the end of a dirt road, miles from anywhere, and have five neighbours! Do you really not trust them that much?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Um, I don't know where you get that idea from Robert. Yes there is a gravel extension to the road that goes to the jetty but otherwise we live on a normal paved street that has about 30 houses on it. It is safe but Whangarei, like the rest of the country is experiencing crime like never before. I do trust the neighbours but not the nasty little scrotes from Whangarei who go out burgling in the wider area. We have three Arlo security cameras that link to but might be monitored by the Yanks. Who knows. my phone, iPad and laptop that give immediate alerts of intrusion. These are not connected to the Chinese Security Services. I arrived in ChCh this afternoon and have checked the cameras and there are no disturbances.
I'll write a post on the ChCh house maybe tomorrow - meanwhile Robert, take a deep breath (or some Prozac) and take care with the images and statements that you post on your blog. As Christ said when he was a cowboy "We don't want to frighten the horses eh."

THE CURMUDGEON said...

All good Richard. Im trying to set up the laptop here in Lynn's temporary house. As per usual she has taken over the sudy. How unfair is that? I know that she's gong to be gere for 3 months but I (in keeping with the modern world - 'It's all about me') will be spending a whole week each of those monrths down here. I brought the laptop with me but have been relegated to the dining area! I forgot to bring a mouse pad and consequently can't use the mouse. I'll buy one tomorrow.
When you leave 'Parmy' tomorrow, be considerate and, like those house-moving jokers, only block up the roads in the early hours of the morning.

Richard (of RBB) said...

"I know that she's going to be gere for three months..."
What is a gere?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

It was the mouse’s fault but is fixed now.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Mind you, Gere was more associated with gerbils.