Saturday 8 June 2024

PARDON ...

 


... or, "bring three and fourpence we're going to a dance."


Are you, like me getting a but deaf and finding it difficult to properly hear dialogue on modern television series and films?*

Often it isn't the hard of hearing at fault, it's the indistinctness of enunciation (mumbling) and the poor sound quality of the production - that and the 'crash-bang' background noise and music that's dumped in the mix. Even using hearing aids doesn't help.


It used to be that proper (edited) subtitles work but these are few and far between now. Hold on, hold on,  I know that you're going to say that almost every streaming service provides an option for subtitles but, if you would read properly, I said "proper (edited) subtitles". The rubbish that goes for subtitles nowadays is AI generated and is frankly nonsense.

Even the AI logarithms find it hard to decipher what the mumbling actors are saying.

How accurate are YouTube auto-generated subtitles?

YouTube automatic captions typically provide about 60-70% accuracy, which means that 1 in 3 words can be wrong. This accuracy rate will be improved with good audio quality and simple content but worsens when there is background noise, accents, or multi-syllable words.

At worst this totally destroys comprehensibility and it's better to watch with the sound off.





* I have written on this before you know.



4 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Another bloody rerun!

Richard (of RBB) said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Anonymous said...

Just seeing if I can still comment.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Hey TC,
Can you send me an email with your phone number?
My mobile phone died yesterday and I lost all my phone numbers - presently trying to retrieve then - the phone is dead. Have a new phone and setting it up.
Thanks.