Wednesday 24 July 2019

A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD

Wasn't that a great sporting result on the weekend?

I'm talking about the Silver Ferns winning the World Cup netball beating those incredibly talented Australians.





Well done to them and thanks for making me proud to be a New Zealander.

This of course follows on from the previous weekend when New Zealand's men's cricket team the Black Caps competed in the finals of the Word Cup cricket and just got beaten out by England on a technicality. I also felt proud to be a New Zealander then as well.

The Old Girl was up here on the weekend and we listened to the result on the radio. She then said something along the lines of ..... "It's typical, there was all the hoohah about the men's cricket and the team lost and now when a women's team wines we'll hear bugger all" (I paraphrased a bit).

I felt incensed at this and needed to remonstrate. I told her that I took exception to her comment and drew her attention to the fact that there are many sports where men take an active interest in what women are doing.

"Like what?" she demanded.

"Well" I replied, "Women's tennis, Women's Olympic long jump and of course women's beach volleyball" .......... just managing to duck the wet dishcloth that she'd been holding.










4 comments:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

I agree with Lynn.
Unsurprisingly you fail to say that the Black Caps got 3 million for coming second and the Women get nothing.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

No. I merely assumed that you sports followers would know that and the fact didn't detract from the message in the post.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Women's beach volley ball is quite good though.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Yes. They are so clever and athletic.