Friday 15 November 2019

SOME MORE FREE STUFF

I took a trailer load of garden rubbish to the tip today. Unlike lots of other people I was honest when asked about the rubbish contents and said that while most was fresh garden green waste there was some flax at the bottom of the trailer. The gate attendant asked if it was separable and I said yes, that I could put the flax in the general rubbish area and the bulk in the green waste area. She weighed the car and trailer and said to pay on the way out.

I went to the green waste area and unloaded, putting the odd bit of flax to one side and added these to the small amount of flax I had at the bottom of the trailer. I drove around to the general rubbish area and unloaded this. On exit the car and trailer were weighed again and the nett weight of rubbish calculated as 260kgs. The cost for this was $29.40. I thought this was OK as I noticed the charges for a trailer load of normal rubbish up to 200kgs was $45.

I noticed that lots of other people aren't honest when taking stuff to the tip. In the fresh garden rubbish area there was garden waste that clearly had flax among it. As it's cheaper to dump green waste many people lie at the gate and proceed to dump their flax where they shouldn't. This ultimately will spoil it for everyone and charges will go up.


********************

After the tip I went to Cobham ground to watch the cricket. The English team with many of the big names playing are here in Whangarei playing warm-up games at our excellent cricket ground. They played a two-day game earlier in the week against New Zealand A and today was the first day of a 3-day game. Entry is free. FREE! First class cricket with some of the biggest names in the game. FREE!

You'd think that it would be crowded. I wondered about getting a park given that I had the trailer attached to the car but I was able to get a free carpark, on the roadside right outside the entrance-way to the grounds. Inside there may have been 50 people on the grassy spectator area, sitting on directors chairs or on picnic blankets. The stand next to the pavilion seemed to be half full but even so I was flabbergasted that there were so few people enjoying the experience in the sun.




1 comment:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Glad you enjoyed the cricket. I'm not really a follower of cricket. As Mike used to say, "It's just not cricket!" I've used his quote a bit out of context here, but I'm not long up.*







* I'm the same size up - a Tony style joke