Thursday 14 November 2019

WHERE WERE YOU?





There was a segment on afternoon radio on National Radio a couple of days ago where the panel and listeners were asked if they remembered where they were on the days of significant events in their lifetime.

Surprisingly many couldn't remember or, the events that they did remember were pretty insignificant like bimbo Lady Diana's death or Elvis Presley's demise. For the record even though I didn't rate either of these people I do remember where I was at the time:

Elvis Presley - August 16 1977 (August 17 for New Zealand) I was in my room at my flat at 2 Hay Street Oriental Bay. It was a Wednesday so I must have been skiving off university. I heard it on the radio.

Diana Spencer - August 31 1997  I was in the sunporch of our house at 38 Steadman Road Christchurch. It was a Sunday afternoon and I was reading a book and listening to the radio.

Some other significant events I can remember where I was and what I was doing:

JFK assassination - 22 November 1963 (23 November in New Zealand). I was in the playground at Marist Brothers Newtown. I was in Standard Four. One of the Brothers came down to the lower playground and told us. We watched endless broadcasts on TV at home at night.

The Moon Landing - 20 July 1969 (21 July in New Zealand). I was in the sixth form at Saint Patrick's College. It was a Monday and we listened to it on the radio at school and watched on TV at night at home.

The Berlin Wall falling - 22 December 1989. The Brandenburg gate was opened on this day and the wall was demolished over the following year.  I was at work at Quill and Company (part of Allied Liquor Merchants) and heard it on my car radio. I watched the events on TV at home that night.

911 - 11 September 2001. I was in bed at home at 4 Harbourview Road Point Chevalier. It was a Wednesday in New Zealand  and, on awakening heard about it on the radio. At work we watched events unfold on a TV in the staff room.

Aramoana Shootings - 13 November 1990. I was at home at Kapuka Road Mangere Bridge and watched the events on TV.

Wahine Sinking- 10 April 1968. I was at home. It was a school day but the weather was so bad in Wellington that schools were closed. Flying roofing debris had killed and injured some people. We listened to the events unfold on the radio and watched on TV. I was in the fifth form. It was a Wednesday and I was living at 39 Liardet Street Vogeltown.

***************

There are lots more that I can remember both personal events and major and minor public events. My memory isn't as good as Richard's but it is reasonable. I can't understand those people who said that they couldn't remember where they were or what they were doing on the days of some of the major events.




8 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

I remember all those days.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Where were you when Christ was born?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

"I remember all those days." said Richard.
But, does he remember where he was and what he was doing?
On 23 November 1963 ( morning playtime I think) I was flicking matches at Andrew Compton. Now, before you get on your high horse you need to understand that Compton was horrible but it didn't stop me defending him a couple of times, once from his older brother and again from a bully named Bernard Francis who was a real shit.

See here: https://grumpyoldmanreturnsnz.blogspot.com/2010/11/where-were-you-in-63.html

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Robert's comment is just silly. I wonder if the SPAM filter can weed this type of comment out. Maybe I need to change the comments instructions.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I think I will.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Done.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Actually, I remember Christ being born. I wandered into the stable and hit my toe on a rock (bloody sandals of the time!). A said, "Jesus Christ!" The lady by the baby's bed said, "That's a good name, we were going to call him Fred."

Richard (of RBB) said...

A = I in above post.