Friday 13 December 2019

IT'S FRIDAY AND ALL'S WELL (FOR ME).

I played golf early this morning- started just after seven.
The weather was idyllic and there was no wind.
Once again I had the thrill of being first on the greens I played and the ball left tracks in the dew.
I played early as I knew that today would be a scorcher. I played very well (for me) playing 7 holes and averaging 4 (28). There's no way that I'd be able to keep that up for 18 holes which would give a theoretical handicap of 1. That'd never happen.

I spent most of the rest of the day gardening - weeding, tidying and spraying. At 3PM I was so hot and tired I called it quits and went for a swim even though the tide is way out. It was lovely.

After a shower I thought about our bay which is really a big caldera that has filled with water after the violent eruptions of millions of years ago.




Northland is home to a higher density of extinct volcanoes than anywhere else in the world.

Or at least I hope that they're extinct.

Whangarei Heads volcanic formations

Whangarei Heads where I live has a few mountains that were volcanoes and the strange rock formations that ring McLeod Bay and other bays are the outlying rim of the caldera.

Obviously my thoughts went to Whakaari and the body recovery today. The very brave armed forces and police recovered six of the remaining eight people. Hopefully the last two will be recovered before the island blows again as it's been given a 60% chance of doing so in the immediate future.

I'm a bit stuffed now so will have a cuppa and one or two of the shortbread biscuits I baked the other day. I'll probably go up to the club for tea tonight.

How is your Friday going?

6 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Well, you read my post so you know.
I did bass practice this morning and visited my favourite neighbour in hospital - she's home now.
Off to do some violin now and have a glass of 2012 Bert Smith Wineries Gisborne Chardonnay.
I prefer the 2013, but there you go - one up from a cleanskin.
I wonder how Robert the Sinner's day is going?

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

I had an enjoyable day I think without mortal sin, thank you for asking.

Here is an interesting anecdote about volcanoes.
If the earth is four billion years old why is it's interior still so hot?

Turns out it is by nuclear reactions.
There are according to scientists, and it makes sense, many heavy elements in the interior of the earth these maintain the high temperatures that cause volcanos!
They say that the core of the earth is still hotter than the surface of the sun and unless this were so we would have a dead planet like the others in the solar system unable to generate a magnetic field to repel the deadly rays of the sun.

Though science could be wrong given 99% chance of certainty.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

That's good Richard. At least it has a label. Here's a bit of trivia for you.
Bert Smith Wineries wasn't always named that. Albert inherited the winery and vineyards from his grandmother.
The sales weren't very good though and it took them ages to realise that 'Granny Smith Winery' made potential buyers think it was cider not wine and they drove straight past the vineyards and winery in Gisborne. Albert changed that and now things are looking better although sales are still slow as you know - the current release is 2013 which means that they have six years worth of vintages in storage. Look out for some bargains soon.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Your information Robert leads me to believe that the old notion of drilling a hole all the way to China was fanciful as, if they had reached the core they would have burned up.

Richard (of RBB) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
THE CURMUDGEON said...

I was expecting that comment to be removed.
Richard's late night comments to Robert are like Post It notes that are old and have lost their stickiness.