Sunday 8 December 2019

NOT A TRAVEL BOOK





I listened to an interesting interview on Radio New Zealand with Jim Mora talking with Jennifer Mallinson about her book TARANTO TO TRIESTE.


TARANTO TO TRIESTE INTERVIEW RNZ

The book is a history of New Zealand armed forces campaign in Italy from 1943 to 1945.
It is of particular interest to me as my dad was part of this campaign and went from Taranto to Trieste with The Divisional Cavalry. Mallinson stresses that the book isn't a military history but more a recount of what the 14,000 New Zealanders faced in their travels. She is a New Zealander but lives in Verona and did her research to be able to answer queries from her friends as to what New Zealanders were doing in Italy in WW2. I must buy this.

Richard will be interested in this as there is mention of Bari where he has friends I think and no doubt will have mention of other places he's been to.



3 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Very interesting. I'll be in Bari next year in October. I'll try to get more information.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Ask your friends about the bombing in December 1943 and were they aware that there was nerve gas stored on the ships in the harbour.
Tell them that it was nothing to do with the New Zealanders if they ask.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

I heard that this "soft underbelly" had more allied casualties than any other theatre in WW2.