Friday 6 December 2019

FRIDAY NIGHT IS CLUB NIGHT*

Tonight I'm going up to the local club for a couple of glasses of wine.
The wine isn't really that good but it's OK and better than the cleanskin crap that some people drink. The problem (for me) is that: the chardonnay is from Marlborough; the pinot noir is a light Marlborough one; the riesling is from a producer I refuse to support and the roses are candyish rubbish. I don't drink sauvignon blanc, pinot gris, shiraz, merlot or cabernet sauvignon so my choices are limited.

Yes, I know I'm fussy. The only saving grace is that the wines are cheap ($7 a glass) and that the glasses are filled to the brim.



Richard no doubt would approve as would Robert although Robert might prefer to drink from this glass:



When I go to the club I sometimes eat there at the restaurant. The meals are really good and cheap too ($15 to $20). It's so hot here though that I don't feel like ploughing my way through a big plate of snapper chips and salad or a gourmet burger so will probably have a light snack before I go up the hill after 7PM.

On Friday nights they have a 'Members' Draw' where a draw is made of membership numbers and, if you are in the club at the time win the pool. The pool starts at $50 and increases by $50 each time that it isn't collected. Tonight it's up to $650. I could do with this to go towards the cost of the root canal work I'm getting done at the dentist.

Here's hoping.




























* Occasionally and depending on whether The Old Girl is up here or not. She doesn't like going to the club. This weekend she's staying in Auckland.

4 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

"The problem (for me) is that: the chardonnay is from Marlborough." Your suffering is similar to what Christ went through at Easter. Expect a visit from The Whore of Babylon!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

That sounds OK - as long as she brings a Hawkes Bay chardonnay.

THE CURMUDGEON said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
THE CURMUDGEON said...

I didn't win the $650. Bummer.
I also had two chardonnays - from Marlborough. Bummer.
The Old Girl is in Auckland. Bummer.

Oh well, I'll watch the second half of Martin Scorsese's 'The Irishman' on Netflix.