Saturday 14 December 2019

THE THING ABOUT SLIPPERS

I used to give Richard a hard time about wearing slippers outside.

SLIP SLIDIN' AWAY

Every time I saw him in recent years he's been wearing his old man shoes:



*****************

In January of this year I was in Wellington and again met up with Richard (that photo of the shoes above was taken of him at the airport where he met me).
I was wearing 'young man shoes' some rather nice and trendy Ecco street shoes. These have always been comfortable and for several years I've been buying the brand.
I was staying at Oriental Bay and the next morning walked from there to the railway station to get the train to Paraparaumu. When there I walked from the station to my sister's new place.  The walk nearly crippled me. For some reason the shoes that I'd been happily wearing for at least a year were really hurting my feet. When back in Wellington, before I made my way to the airport, I  went to about 6 or 7 shoe shops looking for 'orthopaedic' or wide fitting shoes to ease the pain. No one seems to stock the Scholls shoes anymore but at the last shop I visited they had some SKETCHERS shoes. Old man shoes.
They were amazing and I've been wearing them and another pair I bought everywhere I go.




Last night at the club I took note of what people were wearing on their feet. Of people over the age of say 50 (the younger guys wear hipster shoes) most of the men were wearing Sketcher-type shoes and the very old ones were wearing Richard-type outdoor slippers.

The times sure are changin'.

2 comments:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

It's an old but true adage; people look first at your shoes.
That's why I keep my best but most uncomfortable shoes for Sunday Mass!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Yes, that sounds appropriate.
I'm sure that they'll match your hair shirt and flagellation items.
Make sure that they are all colour coordinated. You don't want to look silly.