Thursday 24 December 2020

HERE WE GO (PART FOUR).

 "Get me some haloumi Matey" said The Old Girl when I was off to the local superette to buy fresh salad ingredients for tonight's tea.

I hate it when I'm asked to buy things that are outside of the normal ranges I shop within.

Haloumi.


A disgusting cheese related item that only women, to my knowledge, order in restaurants, buy and cook with.

I collected the salad leaves, cherry tomatoes, mandarins and Feta cheese and stood looking in the chiller where i got the Feta from. I looked left, right, up, down and all about and couldn't see the haloumi anywhere.  I was getting desperate and was considering driving on another 15 minutes to Onerahi township where there is a New World store.

A I was standing there another guy came along and he too spent minutes looking at all of the cheeses. "I'm looking for haloumi" he plaintively said "Do you know what that is?". I said I was also looking for it and couldn't see it anywhere. He asked what it was and I told him that it was a kind of cheese thing that tasted like wallpaper paste and had a rubbery texture. We both agreed that the women indoors liked it and that we wouldn't go near it. "I can't go home without it" he said at which time we swapped 'war stories' about  being given hard to find items when shopping like hand creams, certain brands of hair shampoo and other esoteric womens' things. This puts men under tremendous stress and they can be seen wandering along supermarket shelves like lost sheep.

He wandered off and I was planning to finish shopping there and drive to the New World when he returned with a shop assistant. "Here it is" he triumphantly stated after the shop assistant had shown him where the Haloumi was in the chiller.



It was right next to the Feta cheese. It had bright blue packaging. There were about 8 packs. I was flabbergasted that I hadn't seen it before.

But ..... I was even more flabbergasted that the other guy had asked a shop assistant. HE ASKED SOMEONE!

WTF? 


5 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Haloumi cheese is nice fried.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Or baked.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Or left on the supermarket shelves.

Richard (of RBB) said...

No Christmas message?

THE WINE GUY said...

After Christmas lunch.