Saturday 13 March 2021

IF MUSIC BE THE FOOD OF LOVE ....

 .... you know the rest.



OK, I know that the image doesn't fit the quote or the theme but I thought that Richard would appreciate it (but not the spelling).

As I posted earlier, I had some trouble with fixing the CD player and ordering another one:  HERE  and  HERE

The second one I ordered arrived yesterday. Eagerly I connected it to the amp, plugged it in and pressed 'OPEN'. Nothing happened. I tried several times, pressing different buttons and still the CD drawer wouldn't open. This was exactly the problem with the original and the reason that I munted it tried to fix it. Bugger!

I sent an email to the Trade Me seller. He replied quickly that to ship it he had taped up the opening mechanism. I looked and there was no evidence of tape. I decided to take the cover off - 5 screws - carefully as my slapdash effort last time didn't work. I spied the tape, removed it, reassembled the unit and plugged it in. Nothing. Bugger!

I contacted the seller again. He said that he had put two sections of sellotape on it. I pulled the machine apart again and had to remove the front panel and a locking bar  - 3 more screws - and, hidden underneath was the other tape. I removed it and set up the unit again. I pressed 'OPEN' and sure enough it opened as it was supposed to.

I selected a CD - Beauty Spot a NZ Symphony Orchestra compilation and played it. The sound was wonderful and reminded me of what we'd been missing for the last couple of years while we haven't been able to use the stereo system. We've been using iPod speakers and the television to listen to music. The stereo sound was amazing. Our system is old - about 20 years but the gear still works well (even though the CD changer failed). The amp is a DENON DRA-455 and the speakers TANNOY. I'm looking forward to listening again to the music collection we have  - "Not that bloody Scott Walker or Captain Beefheart stuff though Matey" said the Old Girl.




4 comments:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Can not beat the classics! One thing we had in common today were things wirling around.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

So, how did the helicopter ride go?

Richard (of RBB) said...

You can beat the classics with a bit of jazz.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Well, the second CD I played was Bill Evans' Portrait In Jazz.
That was excellent too.