Monday 29 March 2021

THE UNINVITED GUEST

 I don't know why this memory sprung to mind today.

Years ago at one of the companies I worked for, a not very well liked CEO, in one of his self-aggrandisement moments decided to hold a fancy-schmancy Friday luncheon in the boardroom. He had his secretary create and send out fancy invitation cards to a group of well known wine writers and media influencers. I was on the executive committee (kind of like the board) so didn't think it out of the ordinary that I was invited. What I did think was strange though, when I arrived at the appointed time, to see that I was the only member of the executive there. I nevertheless mingled with the other guests, most of whom I knew or knew of and sipped the very expensive Champagne that was being poured by wait staff. The CEO was mingling at the other end of the room which held about  sixteen people. 

When we were seated at the table the CEO sidled up to me and asked:

 "What are you doing here?" 

 I replied:

"Your secretary sent me an invitation".

"Oh" he said, looking confused and then the penny dropped. A well known wine writer with the same Christian name as mine wasn't there. His secretary had merely assumed that the CEO meant me when he scribbled out a wish list of attendees.

I decided to stick it out because:

  • He looked uncomfortable.
  • I didn't like him and,
  • I saw the great lineup of very expensive wines  planned for the luncheon.
I could tell that he was irked but I politely commented him on a nice turnout and lovely spread. He went to his seat at the head of the table.


The luncheon was superb and the CEO  entertained by mainly talking about himself and his past accomplishments and generally trying to make a good impression on the guests. I of course knew that most of what he said was bullshit or merely facile but sat quietly, enjoying the food and wine and chatted with the people nearest to me. It soon became evident why he had organised this luncheon. He was leaving to set up his own business and was trying to curry favour with industry pundits to aid in future success. He squirmed every time he caught my eye.

I stuck it out for the duration and excused myself when lunch was finished and didn't stay for the after mingle. I went back to my office and had a laugh about it with the people I worked with.

The CEO never mentioned this afterwards but, I suspect, he put the knife into my back before leaving in reports to the owners of the company. No matter though as I had already accepted a handsome redundancy due to a  a very good contract  and had in fact a job offer with another company.

I'm enjoying retirement but miss those silly work episodes where people who are egocentric make fools of themselves. Maybe I should do a series on them.



6 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Ha, ha! Great post! We all know self serving fuckwits like that CEO but it would be parallel 'universing' to share our stories here. You were the winner on the day!

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Maybe instead of posting about the egocentric you should post about the theocentric!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I do. Often. I created The Religious Curmudgeon also for this very reason and write lots of posts about that silliness.

Richard (of RBB) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
THE CURMUDGEON said...

Yes Robert - you really should read the posts properly.
Richard has a blog that looks at theocentrics and makes fun of them and his Catholic apologist personality takes it even further.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Why have not you posted yet?