Sunday 21 March 2021

POT LUCK*

 * Or, Murphy's Law.


The Old Girl and I often have a pool challenge on the weekend. This is the best of three games while having a couple of glasses of sparkling wine and listening to some favourite music tracks on the iPod.



We usually drink the excellent New Zealand Methode Traditionelles like Deutz but yesterday I'd bought a bottle of Lanson Champagne for a change. After a couple of games - one win each - I poured the second glass for each of us (we get four glasses out of a 750ml bottle) - and started the third frame.

As I was drawing back my cue for a shot I managed to tip over The Old Girl's full glass. Disaster!


Murphy's Law states that for all the times that we've played while drinking cheaper bubbles, no accidents happen. Use a more expensive drink like Champagne and of course some fool will knock a full glass over. We were reduced to sharing the last glass (mine) and The Old Girl won the last frame because I knocked the black ball in by mistake when going for one of the striped balls. Bummer!





6 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

At least you weren't drinking chilled red wine! I've seen you do that. Actually, it's a bit of a no no.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

No red wines should be served at room temperature.

Read this:

https://vinepair.com/articles/why-you-should-drink-your-red-wines-chilled/

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Why are you playing that silly game pool? It's like using a spnner on the Tongariro.
Surely billiards or at least snooker!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I'll let that go as you obviously don't have a lot of knowledge of pool.
This is a game that can be played well on larger tables (ours is a three quarter size). It bears no relation to the 'smash bash' version played on those tiny tables in the pubs you frequent.

Snooker is a great and strategic game but Lynn doesn't like it. She prefers pool.

Somehow I can't imagine you playing billiards Robert as this game is best played on full size tables which are few and far between other than in 'gentlemen's clubs'. I doubt that you are a member of the Wellington Club or the Wellesley Club.

Richard (of RBB) said...

I don't belong to those clubs either. Full of self entitled old twots.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Twats.