Friday 26 March 2021

STRAIGHTEN UP AND FLY RIGHT

 

STRAIGHTEN UP AND FLY RIGHT - NAT KING COLE


"The monkey grabbed his neck and said, "Now, listen, Jack

Straighten up and fly right."

 

Well The Old Girl grabbed me by the neck and said "Now listen Jack, I want that shelf straight - OK?"

Yesterday I bought a small shelf and fittings from Mitre 10 because I wanted to tidy up the modem unit and cords behind the desktop computer.

"I hope that you're going to use  a tape measure" she said.

"Yeah, yeah " I replied.

Well tonight, after The Old Girl retired to the bedroom to read her book I set about putting the shelf up. I quickly had a sqizz as to where it would go, drilled a couple of holes for the screw anchors, put it all together and set the modem on top.

Job done!

I stepped back to admire my handiwork.



"Mmm, looks OK to me" I thought.

I then had another though: "How would The Old Girl view it?"

Bugger!

It was after 8PM by this time and I was gasping for a cuppa. There was only one thing to do. I found a small wedge and wedged it under one side of the computer stand.


This has worked a treat and, to the casual observer the shelf looks like it has straightened up and is flying right.



BEFORE




AFTER


Job now done!



I fixed it this morning. I took a small eraser out of the end of a propelling pencil, dropped it into the hole in the shelf where the fixing dowel goes which lifted the right hand side up slightly. it's now almpost square so I don't need the wedge under the computer.




 

4 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Oooh. Dodgy job!

Richard (of RBB) said...

Okay, okay, not a bad job!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

No, you're right, it is a dodgy job. I'll see if I can fix it by, say, varying the length of the dowel plugs that connect the shelf to the brackets. I'll wait until Lynn is out shopping though.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I've fixed it in the tradition of my dad. I used part of a propelling pencil to adjust the dowell setting and then folded up 6 business cards and jammed those between the shelf and the bracket.
Job done (well if you don't look too closely).