Saturday 11 December 2021

HERON LIES THE LESSON

 We have a great collection of birdlife where I live.

The bush, mountains and bay offer a broad cross section of native and non-native fauna. In spring and summer the kereru, tui and other tree dwellers gorge themselves on the honey-type offerings from the flowers of flax, kowhai and fruit trees.

Being coastal the marine birds are always busy fishing and fossicking. It's pure pleasure watching the gannets fly up high and dive down Stuka-style into the water.

Today I spied a heron in the back garden. It was hunting something - snails or maybe skinks. I watched it for a long tie before something spooked it.














6 comments:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Yes yes yes but you didn't really make an effort to do anything yourself. I tried to swat a fly but I wouldn't post it as newsworthy!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Oh! Your posts are newsworthy. I must have missed that.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Why was the bird wearing a tie?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Shouldn't you be looking for good chardonnays?

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Why do keep missing things?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Like pronouns?