Thursday 14 September 2023

IT DOESN'T REALLY MATTER

 


"Nothing really matters, anyone can see
Nothing really matters
Nothing really matters to me"


Well, a lot of things do matter to me but work and career isn't one of them.

While  hanging out the washing this morning I thought about my day today - what I was going to do that was important. Hanging out the washing while the sun is shining is one. Vacuuming the house and cleaning bathrooms and the kitchen is another as The Old Girl returns on Saturday after a fortnight away.

My mind drifted away to the days when I was working in employment that I liked and felt was important. On a Thursday morning I would likely have had meetings, projects to manage, brand strategies to devise, labels to create, domestic and international markets to connect with. You know - stuff. And, at the time, important stuff. Nowadays when I read about the wine market with export successes and failures; vintages that are great or disastrous; consumption figures that go up or down; wines that win awards in competitions; new labels and wine styles etc. I think - "who gives a stuff it doesn't really matter to me."

Richard is all but retired but when he doesn't have any relief classes and is hanging out the washing, does he miss past full-time teaching? Probably not as he probably thinks about his practice schedule:


Robert still works full time at age 68 and hasn't indicated any intention to retire. If he did though, and when hanging out the washing, will he miss cleaning buildings and other people's houses? Probably not while there are things to fix, scrape, paint, remodel and water-blast around his own house. And, someone has to eat all those Scotch eggs.

The Old Girl's still working and intends to do so for at least another year. I'm not sure what she'd be thinking while hanging out the washing but most likely will miss the high energy and important project work she does. I can't see her thinking "Nothing really matters". She'd also be thinking "I can hang out washing much better than The Curmudgeon." Her retirement actually will be bad news for me. Speaking of which, I'd better get that house tidied up before she calls, pronto.







*

12 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Good to see you using a bit of Italian.

Richard (of RBB) said...

No, I don't miss full time teaching.

Certainly not!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I made pizza last night and had a couple of leftover slices for lunch today.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Mi ne frega una sega.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

But somethings matter. Even if my partner annoys me, how can I do things to not annoy her.
A famous mystic guy who had written many books said 'In the end all my words are as grass'.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I hope that you got that quote from the mystic guy right since your reading skills were lacking in reading my post.

Maybe the mystic guy said "In the end I speak out of my arse".

THE CURMUDGEON said...

"Mi ne frega una sega"
No, no frogs. My pizza meal was Italian inspired not French.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Una sega is a saw. Think of the sound it makes.
"Ee, aw, ee, aw."

Think back to your young days.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

No, that sounds like a donkey.

Richard (of RBB) said...

My latest post has twenty comments already!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

21

Richard (of RBB) said...

22