Thursday 7 September 2023

IF ALCOHOL CAN DAMAGE YOUR SHORT TERM MEMORY - IMAGINE THE DAMAGE ALCOHOL CAN DO

 

April is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

        T.S. Eliot The Waste Land

I've always prided myself on having a good memory, particularly for long ago events.

The Old Girl's memory is different to mine. She's not so good at remembering long ago things but has a visual memory - photographic if you will. When I can't find something I ask her and she immediately tells me where it is because if she has sighted it, the memory of it is in her mind and she will be quite specific as to where it is and what it's next to. This of course makes it difficult for me to get up to mischief as she knows if things have been used, misused, moved, misplaced or replaced. I sometimes play little tricks on her by deliberately moving something of hers like for instance, her collection of jewellery or some ornaments.



She looks at me suspiciously when she notices.

This is like the excellent comedy series Ever Decreasing Circles where Anne would deliberately replace the telephone receiver the wrong way around to annoy her obsessive husband Martin who would restore it.



I note that I can remember things from schooldays better than Richard or Robert can but maybe they just want to forget. It can't have been easy having to be in 3G and 3P1 classes.

Now and then though, I'm finding myself forgetting the most basic words, names or places. I went to tennis this morning - FOR GOD'S SAKE DON'T TELL THE OLD GIRL  - and played 6 games to test my hip. When sitting with the others for morning tea I recounted how my sister is living in a retirement village and enjoying it. I couldn't remember where it was though and said "Kapiti Coast north of Paraparaumu". I of course meant Waikanae but for the life of me the place-name wouldn't come.

Is this a worry?





11 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Rober will probably say, "Not as bad as losing your Catholic faith or calling Mary a lesbian."

Richard (of RBB) said...

Not as bad as forgetting where the 3P classroom was or not really knowing how to spell out a minor b6 chord, say, B minor b6.

Here's a test for you both (Peter and Robert), Name the notes in this chord - C9#11.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Not as bad as forgetting how to spell your brother's name.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Well, he did rob our freedom by sentencing us to Hell.

Imagine if I said, "When Robert dies he will be sent to GBTLQ+ Land for eternity and he will have to fit in."

Richard (of RBB) said...

And the gay Virgin Mary will be there watching over him.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

"And the gay Virgin Mary will be there watching over him."

He might actually like that.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

3P2.....C,E,G,B,D,F?

Richard (of RBB) said...

No.

C E G Bb D F#.

At least you tried, which puts you ahead of our 3P 'expert'.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

How about this: W G A F ?

Richard (of RBB) said...

There is no W note in music.
G A F would be like a G9 chord with no 3rd.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

No W in music? Oh., shame. ‘ANKER’ just doesn’t have the right resonance.