Friday 24 May 2024

NINE LIVES?

Thirteen years ago (is that number significant?) I wrote a series of posts titled 'LUCKY'. I got up to 'LUCKY 13' I think ....

Well today I used up another of my 'lives' when on the roof. I spent some time clearing gutters and making sure that downpipes were free of obstructions. I did this because it was a fine day, the roof was dry and we expect some rainstorms soon. I set up the ladder and climbed up with a long-handled brush and gloves and set to.

While there I thought I'd do a more thorough job than usual so laddered (is there such a word?) down again and tossed up a hose and some brushes and went up again. I spent about an hour and a half scrubbing the gutters as I discovered that the scum that builds up on the bottom slows down the water flow and can lead to backing up if a few leaves or twigs fall in the guttering. I cleaned as many as I could safely reach and stretched it a bit on some parts where I clambered down holding on to the roofline with one hand and using the long-handled brush with the other.


The drop from the highest part of the rear of the house is not great (probably 15 foot from the gutter) but not one I fancy making. I wouldn't have done this at the front of the house where the drop must be about 40 foot in places.

Anyway, all was going well and before coming down* I decided to go up further to check the chimneys and the new roof ventilator we installed a few months go. By this time, while it was still bright and sunny, I'd got the roof wet while using the hose in the gutters and managed to saturate my gloves and the shoes I was wearing. I climbed up from the flat part of the roof I'd been standing on to the sloping part that led to the chimneys (see arrow):


Well, just as I was reaching for the roof-line my wet shoes on the wet roof slipped and my wet gloves gave me no purchase so I slid down, past the gutter and landed in a heap on the flat roof below. Fortunately I wasn't hurt except for my pride but it gave me a bit of a shake-up. If this had happened at the higher point I'd been standing on an hour earlier I'd have dropped down onto the brickwork area where the car is parked - as I said, at least 20 feet.

I tossed the brushes, the broom and the hose over the side and went down the ladder to safety. When I told The Old Girl (she had heard the thump) she forbade me doing any more up there until things dried out - a moot point because it's been raining off and on this afternoon.





* While up on the roof I checked the eaves to see if they needed painting and looking up I discovered a huge wasp nest - the biggest I've found so far. It was about the size of a half a loaf of bread. I was wondering if it was still in use so squirted water on it which brought out some inquisitive - not yet at that stage angry - wasps. I quickly went down and got some strong insect spray (Mortein Power Guard) and gave them a good seeing to. They came out pretty angry but the Power Guard won. It's strong stuff so soon the roof was littered with dead wasps. I used the long-handled brush to pull down the hive and to crush it before sending it over the side. Job done.







1 comment:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

That 20 foot drop gave me butterflies just reading about it. Did you thank your guardian angel for showing you how dangerous it was before you went on the high side.
I thought the old girl would totally ban you from going on the roof, there's no need really.