Friday 10 January 2020

A PLACE FOR MUSIC

With apologies to The Music Curmudgeon.




Look I accept that there is a place for music in society and day to day living.
Churches for example would be pretty dreary places without it. Of course a lot of church music is itself pretty dreary but there is some good stuff there. I used to like the Latin stuff at school - Tantum Ergo, Gregorian chants etc which is why I guess I like Enigma's first album.


Concerts of course would be a waste of time without music.

Parties and celebrations need a little bit of music to get things going.


There are places though where music should not be:

Lifts

Shopping Centres

Airports

Restaurants

And, particularly, in films and television series. What's the point of having music going on in the background when there is dialogue going on in the foreground? Why is music supposed to 'set the scene or theme' when good common sense from the viewer should show whether it's a sad or happy scene? Why the hell is loud, crash-bang music necessary in every action scene?

I watch my 'TV' on a smart tv linked to our broadband internet connection. The things I watch are on YouTube, Lightbox, TV On Demand and Netflix. Netflix films and series are particularly bad in the overuse of music. I find that I have to turn the volume right down when there is music (most scenes) and turn it back up again to hear the dialogue. As a result I miss a lot. It pisses me off. Did you hear that? IT PISSES ME OFF.

Thank you. That's all I was going to say.

4 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

That first joke of yours did the rounds of facebook but, instead of saying Classical Music, it said Country Music. I always left a comment saying that the music is Mozart's Piano Sonata in C Major K545. I wonder if someone changed the wording on the joke because of my comments?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

No.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Imagine watching a woman walking through a dark forest being stalked in a movie without music.
Imagine the last scene in Beauty and the Beast as the beast lays dying without music.
Imagine the famous scene in Titanic of the two lovers standing on the prow without music.

A place where music is totally inappropriate and annoying is in reality shows and The Blog.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

All of those scenes you mention would be improved without intrusive music.

I worry about your fantasy of watching a woman walking through a dark forest being stalked. Do you think you should get help? Is this a Catholic thing?