Saturday 11 January 2020

BIG DAY TODAY




The sandbank party takes place today.
At low tide in our bay a huge sandbank island is exposed and stays so for about 6 hours. Picnickers go out by boat and kayak to sit on the island and cook and eat lunch.

MCLEOD BAY SANDBANK PARTY

This has been going on for 10 years now always in the second week of January. Over the years the 'party' has become a bit more sophisticated with now, port-a-loos set up and a large boat with a live band and good sound equipment.

Good fun is had by all but of course there are always a few dickheads who get drunk and drive their speedboats or jetskis irresponsible. Let's hope this doesn't happen today and that everyone has safe fun.

I'm taking the kayak out about midway through and then I'll come back and watch and listen from the deck. I'll take my supposedly waterproof camera with me so might get some nice pics if I don't get run over by one of those dickheads.





8 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

I hope that guy from the tennis club who hits hard balls at you doesn't show up.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

He won't because I've been smashing them back at him but thanks for the concern. I've just got back and will write a follow up post for you lucky readers.

Richard (of RBB) said...

"...drive their speedboats or jetskis irresponsible." Irresponsibly.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

I kind of prefer irresponsible. It has a poetic touch.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Think I would sit on the deck also. Maybe there will be a freak wave.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

"I kind of prefer irresponsible. It has a poetic touch."

Here's a poetic touch for you:

Pound (pounding is what you deserve)
Carver (enough said)
Shelley (as in I'll tell Shelley that you're being mean to me).
Hardy (as in hardy-ha-ha)
Hugo (you go fuck yourself).

THE CURMUDGEON said...

"Think I would sit on the deck also. Maybe there will be a freak wave."

Funny that you say that. It's a great day with no wind and the water looked quite calm but out in the middle of the bay on the way to the sandbank (and on the way back) I encountered unusually big swell.

I'd better keep an eye out as in past years some drunken and foolhardy people have swum back to shore. It's a safe bay but there have been recent drownings and the Settler's Cemetery shows many fishermen drowning in the nineteenth century.

IRASCIBLE OLD BASTARD said...

Ha ha. I see that The Curmudgeon was a bit hasty and thought that Richard had written that comment :
" I kind of prefer irresponsible. It has a poetic touch."
And then he went off on a tirade worthy of what I might have done.

Silly old bugger.