Wednesday 11 March 2020

APROPOS OF NOTHING




********************

I've been tidying up the study today in preparation for producing the monthly newsletter that I've been lumbered with that I volunteered to create for the PROBUS club.
This meant emptying out all of the storage boxes containing the remnants of at least 8 different offices that The Old Girl and I have worked in. There were multiple hole punchers, staplers, memo pads, Sellotape dispensers, marker pens, erasers, boxes of staples and paper clips, computers, keyboards, mice, plugs, connections, chargers - and of course about a hundred pens of all shapes, sizes and functions.

I sorted these by type and allocated drawers in the dresser in the study and a file cabinet to the different items.

******************

In one of the boxes I found some old photographs and memorabilia including these two from my Marist schooldays.




Standard 6 I think
I was pretty good at rugby back then before I switched to soccer (and, later back to rugby in the 7th form at college).

****************

I also found this polaroid photo of me sitting on Father Christmas's knee. This was taken at some sort of corporate Christmas bash back in the late 1980s. I was looking for this to use in a 'Santa' post back in December.



20 comments:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Those containers have a scary resemblance to my former man cave until I removed them as an earth quake risk.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Earthquake risk in Northland is low. No active faults are mapped within the Northland Region, and the whole Northland peninsula has been generally regarded as tectonically stable (Eiby 1955). The earthquake risk is lower than for much of New Zealand.

- Whangarei Council

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

That's what they probably said about Christchurch prior to 2011.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

No they didn't.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Why are you wearing a League jersey?

Richard (of RBB) said...

Oh, and can you fix the photos.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Sorry, I forgot a question mark.

?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Hey, well spotted!
Yes I played League for Marist as well..
I didn't notice that. My mum photographed me in three different jerseys - soccer, rugby and rugby league.
The rugby league one was oldest as it was the smallest. I don't know what's happened to the other photos.

Richard (of RBB) said...

"I don't know what's happened to the other photos."

At Richard's Bass Bag* they'd be fixed by now.









* the original bass bagging site

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I was referring to the two other photos my mother took of me.
Keep up!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Anyway, the photos all look ok on my computer.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

No they don't!
They've dropped off.
What's going on here?
Is this the work of Robert's Holy Ghost?

Richard (of RBB) said...

Always someone else to blame!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Well that's rude!

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

There will be no forgiveness for those that insult the Holy Ghost! I think.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Yeah, that's typical.
The Catholic Church position moves with the wind. One minute they are advocating forgiveness for all and love, love, love and the next minute, after someone has damaged their frail egos it's all about condemnation to hell.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

It makes me think of what Richard often remembers his mother saying. Something along the lines of - "I don't want to go to heaven if Mr McGillacoddy is going to be there".
Funny.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Mr Linford.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Mr Linford.

Richard (of RBB) said...

There was only really one of him.