Friday 20 March 2020

WAR GAMES




I'm annoyed at that idiot Donald Trump likening himself to a wartime president in his handling of the Covid-19 pandemic. It's typical of him in his big boy fantasies of trying to pretend that he's tough and in control when the reality is (supported by a lifetime of facts, actions and responses) that he's a spoiled little brat in a big man's suit. He's also a golf cheat, a coward and a draft dodger so it makes me laugh seeing him in this current posturing.
“I do, I actually do, I'm looking at it that way,” Trump told reporters during a press briefing at the White House when asked whether he considered the U.S. to be on a wartime footing. “I look at it, I view it as, in a sense, a wartime president. I mean, that's what we're fighting.“  - Donald Trump 18th March 2020.

Mind you, Trump isn't the only fool doing this as I've read reports of his fat counterpart Boris Johnson doing the same and even Germany's chancellor Angela Merkel and France's president Macron have been using similar language. It's just silly and I wish that they'd stop it.

In New Zealand I heard our prime minister Jacinda Ardern announcing the border closures and noted that she avoided using the 'wartime leader' reference even though the media would like her to do so.
She said that at no time in New Zealand's history has a power like this (closing borders to entry for anyone other than New Zealand citizens and residents) been used – "I recognise how extraordinary it is."



I much prefer our 'president'.

4 comments:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

She is not our president. No one elected her. She is simply the leader of the labour party put there by members of our parliament who call themselves Labour.

Richard (of RBB) said...

What happened to love, love , love?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

"She is not our president."

Yes, I know that which is why I wrote 'president'.
It's all about context and requires, of course, reading the previous text.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I'm always amazed Robert at how your political leanings are in conflict with your economic and social situation.
It's the same in the USA I guess where the 'blue collars' and 'rednecks' gave support to an amoral, greedy and corrupt 'white collar' bastard who is in league with avaricious Wall Street financiers. One of life's little mysteries I suppose.