Sunday 15 March 2020

SUNDAY - DAY OF REST*


* Well, to be honest everyday is a day of rest for me nowadays.


Sunday, in my life experience has had religious connotations even though I abandoned Catholicism when i was about 15.

Wikipedia tells us:
Sunday is a day of rest in most Western countries, as a part of the weekend and weeknight. For most observant Christians, Sunday is observed as a day of worship and rest, holding it as the Lord's Day and the day of Christ's resurrection. In some Muslim countries and Israel, Sunday is the first work day of the week.
OK, Christians as per usual try to take over what is a rest day from the working week and convert it to their own ends. We're used to that.

I like Sundays though. There is something palpable in the atmosphere. Maybe it's because many people are not working and commuting to their jobs. The sounds in the neighbourhood are different - sounds of leisure activity and, I guess, the absence of sound from people who are resting.
Sundays are always relaxing and for relaxing.
It's a beautiful Sunday here today. Blue skies, warm, no wind - marvellous.

The lawns need mowing and it would be ideal conditions to do so, with a dip in the sea at high tide afterward but I don't want to break the peace. I get annoyed by those gung-ho home maintenance types who fire up their mowers, weed-eaters, blowers and other noisy shit on a Sunday. There are 6 other days to do this.
.


I'll keep listening to the radio, read, do crosswords and enjoy the sunshine on the deck until later in the afternoon when I'll go out and play some golf.

Sunday. Don't you love it?

6 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

I'm off to hear a very good jazz guitarist soon. Sunday is best when you don't have to work the next day. Hope I don't get the call.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

I love Sunday because I can go to church and spend a time with fellow Catholics who go to enormous trouble to make the Mass possible. The best part is when I receive Jesus at Holy Communion and when suitably prepared and repentant He feels me with His sweet love which lasts for several hours in my feelings but for many days affects me as grace.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Oh, OK.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Golf was good. The walk was enjoyable, I played some nice shots and, I found 17 very good golf balls .
The swim afterwards topped it all though.*



*I didn't get filled with 'sweet love' like Robert though.

Richard (of RBB) said...

The jazz gig got cancelled because of the virus. Silly really because there was jazz being played just down the road. No sweet love for me either.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

When live gigs get cancelled and the internet fails, maybe my CD and record collection might come back into their own.
I'd better get those boxes out of the shed now. I've got hundreds of LPs and CDs along with stacks of 78s, 45s and even some older type of recordings.