Friday 13 March 2020

FRIDAY

I've had a 'busy' day today - at least in my world.

I played lawn bowls this morning, went bike riding in the early afternoon and cooked a banana cake later.

BOWLS



I'm not mad on bowls but neighbour Rod plays so I agreed to go with him this morning. I refuse to join the club as I can't stand the idea of spending hours on end at the game. Rolling the bowls is OK but in club competition games there's just too much wasted time with their slow protocol, morning and afternoon teas and lunch. I'll go with Rod as we can just get on with playing 15 or 20 ends with out all of the palaver.

I'm quite good at bowls as, I guess, anyone who has played any sort of ball sport should be. I use The Old Girl's dad's bowls as he was a keen bowler and they are really good. Rod beat me but I played some fine 'draws' and 'drives'.


BIKE RIDE




I haven't been for a ride for months but Rod talked me into it so we set off to Pataua South which is a quiet seaside area not far from where we live.



There's a bridge that goes across the estuary linking Pataua South to Pataua North.



We rode across and then around the safe streets where most of the houses are holiday homes.



It was a good outing and has rekindled my intention to go cycling for fitness.


BANANA CAKE

I had a craving for a cake or biscuit and since I didn't have any I decided to bake one (it's in the oven now). I'd like cream cheese frosting but don't have any cream cheese. Second choice would be vanilla lemon icing but I don't have any lemons. I've settled on chocolate icing and while I don't have any cocoa powder I do have some Milo and some drinking chocolate so I reckon that I can cobble some sort of icing together.

We'll see.


 The icing didn't turn out well. It was tasty but didn't set so was messy.

Today I bought some cream cheese and lemons and made a nicer filling and icing.

Again, it doesn't look pretty but is delicious. I'm hoping it will set but never-mind, it'll all be eaten by the end of the weekend.

Not pretty but pretty tasty


6 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Do we find out how the icing went?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

The icing was a disaster.
Sorry.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Damn it!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Never mind. When I go to the shops I'll buy some cream cheese, lemon and vanilla and knock up a nicer icing and a filling.

Hey! Thanks for your interest.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I CAN FUCKING COOK - OK!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Oops.
Did I say that out loud?

Sorry.*









* I said that to myself tonight while eating a magnificent mince pie (small one) made up from the mince mixture I made a few days ago (and froze) with a mash of potato, kumara and carrot.