Friday 27 March 2020

Day 2

"And on the second day the sky was created"
- from some old book.


Right. The Old Girl has packed up her work for the day so I can get on with the more important exercise of blogging.

I have my own computer and she has hers but apparently I make distracting noises if I blog while she's working (no poor taste jokes please).

Day 2 of the lockdown has been good. I went for a walk and then had a swim. I had planned to do some gardening (weeding and weed spraying) but the walk upset my heart rhythm so I've been reading most of the afternoon. I'm reading the latest Jack Reacher novel which is a huge disappointment. It's titled Blue Moon and subtitled 'The New Jack Reacher'. I'd read somewhere before that Lee Child (James Grant) had run out of steam on his Jack Reacher series and was deciding whether or not to kill the character off. His readership was outraged so he compromised and said that from 2021 onwards his younger brother Andrew Grant would take over the writing and keep old Jack going. It seems that for the 2019 book Blue Moon Andrew Grant has already been writing most of it and rather poorly. There are sections in chapters that stand out and these have obviously been written by James (Lee Child) but there aren't enough of them to salvage a very pedestrian story, dully written. Shame that.
You can read some of The Curmudgeon's 'Jack Reacher' inspired posts though like this one HERE
and Richard (of RBB) and The Wine Guy have also written some.

My iPhone 8 arrived (finally) in the mail today and I've set it up. It seems to do the same things that my old iPhone 4 has been doing but it has a grunty 256 GB in its system which I probably won't use. Never mind, it has a much better camera - 12MP vs 8 MP so my blog pics will be greatly improved.
The Old Girl thinks that I'll be better able to communicate with her using the new phone (it means I won't be able to blame the phone for not hearing her (very useful) instructions on how I should be conducting myself when she's calling me from Wellington.

Talking of Wellington I'll have to have a close look at the rental contract we signed for the apartment there. It's costing us $700 a week until the end of December so if this lockdown runs on (I expect it to be at least 100 days) we need to see if we can get out of it or sublease it.

I'll write some more posts on the weekend (if The Old Girl doesn't decide to do some 'overtime') but now a glass of wine calls. With The Old Girl here it'll probably be bubbles. I'm going to cook Teriyaki fish on rice for dinner.


Stay well. Stay safe. And, most importantly be kind.




4 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

You guys take care up there. Let Lynn use the computer if she needs it. Much love. xx

Richard (of RBB) said...

Post time?

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Good on you for buying a phone with 256 GB of storage. Is it RAM or ROM?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Might be RUM.