Monday 2 March 2020

HEY, LET'S BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!






The Old Girl is off to London next week and will be away until Easter. Her employer has very stringent protocols for travel in this Covid-19 virus world stipulating no stopover in Asia. She plans to 'self- isolate' on her return which means staying locked away with me up north.

It's amazing that we've got to this way of thinking so quickly and that precautions against the virus have become normalised. With luck this will be just another Coronavirus like the yearly influenza strains and SARS but early indications are that it could be a lot worse - at the extreme like the 1918 Spanish Flu epidemic..

Wellington's Karori Cemetery, where 660 people who died from the 1918 flu are buried. Half New Zealand's population caught the deadly virus, and more than 9000 died.


I listened to a radio drama by John Dryden not long ago which was about a devastating worldwide viral outbreak.


It was very scary and - given the current scenario with global panic, indecision and downright irresponsibility from some quarters (Trump) - very prescient. Some of the events, political machinations, conspiracy theories and public hysteria - in New Zealand supermarket shelves being stripped bare of 'survival' items and in USA idiots refusing to drink Corona beer as they are scared of contracting coronavirus - that we are seeing unfold daily are like something out of a novel.

Let's hope that it sorts itself soon but hey, be careful out there!




11 comments:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

I personally put my faith in our wonderful PM who is quite happy that 16000 New Zealanders die annually before birth. On second thoughts...

THE CURMUDGEON said...

So does every discussion have to hinge on your bloody catholic indoctrination and blind prejudices?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Dying before birth is an oxymoron.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Before you judge abortion spend a few days teaching.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Dying before birth in not an oxymoron my friend. It might have the euphemism "Still Birth".

Why is quoting statistics judgemental my other friend?

Richard (of RBB) said...

Not my point, valued friend. I was simply pointing out, wonderful person, that my job would be easier if some people with poor parenting skills hadn't got to add to the younger population. I hope you enjoyed getting my opinion dear friend.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Oh beloved brother I exult and am joyous to hear your reply. But may I ask with the greatest respect if making your work on this beautiful planet a little easier would justify sacrificing even one of these?

Richard (of RBB) said...

Yes, darling brother who is deservedly going to Heaven, it would. More than one would be fine too - I hope I'm not committing the sin of greed.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

"Dying before birth in not an oxymoron my friend. It might have the euphemism "Still Birth"."

BORN DEAD is an oxymoron listed on the OxymoronList -http://www.oxymoronlist.com/

THE CURMUDGEON said...

You chaps are being awfully polite to one another.

Creepy!

Richard (of RBB) said...

You've done well on the comments. Eleven now!