Wednesday 27 January 2021

LISTEN UP!

 


There's a lot of good stuff in the latest NZ Listener.

Mike's book TAKING PAGODA MOUNTAIN (BY STRATEGY) got a great review. Well done Mike.

I just read Jane Clifton's article A ROCKY HORROR SHOW about entertaining house guests during the holiday season. The discussion of the 'dos and don'ts ' is funny and this is worth a read.

I particularly liked the section titled THE ONE WHO SPOILS IT ALL as this reminded me of Robert on the blogs:

"And what house party would be complete without the blowhard who, most scarily, may even mean some of the things they come out with: "Covid's just a 'flu', "Trump's a genius", "Bring back automatic weapons", "Colin Craig made some damn good points, you know", "Why's everyone spouting Maori all of a sudden?" and "Look, you can't tell me a bloke who puts on a dress can call himself a she!""

All good stuff and remember, it's just a quote - I'm not suggesting that Robert's a blowhard but the similarity between those comments and some of the things that Robert says in his blog are pretty close.

I'd better get thinking of an entry for the 'Wordsworth' column and send in the caption I thought of for the caption competition.


Keep on listening. 

6 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

My Listener just arrived. Great to read Mike's review again. Wonderful Mike! I wonder if his time in the White Sport Coat and Pink Carnation Society helped?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

"I wonder if his time in the White Sport Coat and Pink Carnation Society helped?"

I think that you're slipping into the realms of fantasy there Corporal Jones.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Yes Captain Mannering!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Mainwaring.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Whatever!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

No, Mainwaring.