Saturday 23 January 2021

A BEAUTIFUL DAY

 

A PERFECT DAY


I teed off on the first tee, just missing the green but chipped on and easily putted for a par three.

Heading off to the second tee I noticed a copse I hadn't seen before with verdant grass beneath it. "Strange" I thought and went over to investigate.  Stepping into the grass I found, easily, thirty or forty golf balls. They were good ones. New, or used only once and good and expensive brands. I filled my pockets, the golf bag and went back for more until .... I woke up.


I told The Old Girl about my dream and she said "That's weird. You worry me - you are very strange."


Bloody rude!


*********************************

Later this morning we went for a long walk around the bays which is good for our fitness, our old bones and our failing sensibilities.

After lunch The Old Girl said she would do three or four hours work in the study so I set about tidying up the frames of some paintings that need hanging, reading my book and generally filling in time.  That dream bothered me though so, at about 2.30 I put the golf clubs into the car and headed off to the golf club.

I played very badly. The other day I played the same holes very well. Go figure. Just when I was about to give up after hitting my ball across a dry stream to a 'no man's area' between two fairways I saw an area of dry grass that I hadn't seen before. I went to investigate and, blow me down, everywhere there were golf balls. Good ones. I filled my pockets to the point where the weight was dragging my shorts down. Eighteen balls! I would have kept fossicking but a pukeko family were getting a bit anxious as they obviously had a nest nearby so I  left.

**********************************

When I arrived home I turned on the television to watch the Prada Cup match between Team UK and Team Italy. I was hoping that Team Italy would win but those pesky Brits did instead and have gone through to the final - I think - but with this silly sport who knows as the rules are so esoteric.

The Old Girl and I started to prepare dinner - roasted potatoes and pumpkin, wilted spinach and garlic and crumbed lamb medallions - and then cracked a bottle of Deutz Blanc de Blanc while playing a couple of games of pool ( a draw).


Dinner was superb, accompanied by a bottle of Yalumba Grenache Shiraz Malbec - GSM- a beautiful grape combination that the Aussies do well albeit borrowed from the French in the Cotes Du Rhone.

After dinner The Old Girl has retired to the other end of the house where the second television is located

(a clever purchase I made late last year so she can watch her chick flicks and other 'fulfilling and worthwhile dramas').

I'm in the lounge/dining area (where I've been banished to write my blog posts) listening to a Van Morrison mix on YouTube and, after publishing this will search for an action film are series on the TV.

It's been a beautiful day. 


A perfect day.


Life is good.


3 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

I really enjoyed reading this post. I'm so pleased you found all those golf balls, just like in the dream. I've written down the names of those wines you drank and will do some research on them. The two TV watching areas was certainly a stroke of genius! More posts like this please.*















*I'm a liar.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Gosh, to paraphrase Ray Davies you had me going there. I thought that at last I'd written a post you liked.
You are a tricky old codger.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Ah, go for a walk!*








* Or maybe you could do golf ball hunting?