Monday 4 January 2021

NEW YEAR VISITORS

 No, not the cousins from 2 years ago.

It's been  a great day here and still warm and sunny outside. I went for a nice long walk on the bush track around the bay and then had a long swim. The actual swimming didn't take long but I stayed in a while as it was so pleasant.

While reading my book I noticed a little family of California quail on the front lawn. There were 4 adults and 6 chicks. I guess some of their family were visiting them. We get a lot of California quail around here but it's the first time I've seen them so close to the house and the first time one has been on the deck.

While three of the adults and the chicks were fossicking in the grass the fourth adult - dad I assume - walked up the steps to the deck. He jumped up onto the railing and directed the activity below him with little chirps.



It's possible that they were thirsty as things are a bit dry up here. I'll fill the large water bowl and place on the deck later.

After grabbing my phone and snapping him, I followed the little troupe as they made their way up the drive to the back section.







It was a real treat and helped make up for a sad day. Lynn's aunt died this morning in Napier.

4 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Ah, much love to Lynn. ♥️♥️

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Thanks Richard.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

I said a pray for Lynn's Aunt.
Cute little birds.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I hope that your prayer doesn't get discounted because of your poor spelling.

Never mind. It's moot as Lynn's aunt is no doubt going to hell since she, as a good Scottish person, thought that all that Christianity stuff was rubbish.