Saturday 5 February 2022

IN THE YEAR NINETEEN EIGHTY EIGHT ...

 It's The Old Girl's and my anniversary today - the anniversary of when we first hooked up (we're not married) 34 years ago in 1988.

We usually go out to a nice restaurant but this year The Old Girl has concerns (rightly) at the rapid spread of the Omicron variant of Covid-19 so we're staying home. We're sharing the cooking duties. Dinner will be 'schnitzel-type fillet steak with roasted potatoes and pumpkin. Yummy.

We just opened a bottle of Bollinger to toast the day which is appropriate as this rich and luscious wine has lovely toasty aromas typical of a quality Champagne.


 No doubt The Wine Guy will write something about this soon but, to keep you going, here's some wine writer woman saying something about it.

"A robust and complex Champagne from one of the region's top producers. Bollinger always delivers and this special cuvee is no exception. Aromas of freshly baked bread, lemon zest and toasted almond."

That should keep Richard going for a while while he searches for carbohydrates, fruit and nuts in the wine that he's currently drinking.

I've just finished my first glass (we get 4 glasses out of each bottle in the flutes we drink from) and am looking forward to the next one. If it was an ordinary, day to day Champagne or sparkling wine I'd see if I could sneak a bit more but, to be fair to The Old Girl I won't (besides, when it comes to the good stuff she knows down to the last millilitre where the wine has gone).

'34 years' when written down seems like a long time. It's nearly half my age and more than half of The Old Girl's but, to be honest the time has slipped along quite quickly and pleasantly (like the Champagne). I guess we made the right choice.






Oh what the hell. I like the song and  it is my special day so here it is:

IN THE YEAR 2525



5 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Happy anniversary. This is a special time for you both. These dates make you reflect and I'm sure you have so many beautiful memories. It's kind of nice to wake up with the one you love and realise that you're not young anymore but still a great team. I think that's one of the best lessons that life gives. Go easy on retrieving golf balls and spend as much time as you can with the person you love. Much love to you both. xxx

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Nice words and beautifully put.
Yes, we are lucky you and I with having met Shelley and Lynn.
We must have done something in our earlier lives to have deserved it.
For me I put it down to clean living, a moderate attitude to tobacco, alcohol and drugs plus the advantage of having been in 3P (God's assistants training ground).*








* Like my career at university, being there didn't mean that I passed the test.

Richard (of RBB) said...

A bad time to bring this up, and I know you'll refer to me as 'the old school teacher', but shouldn't it be 'God's assistants' training ground'?
Have a great night.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

No, no, 'assistants' is plural.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

And anyway - I don't really give .......... oh, sorry, got to go, The Old Girl's calling me.