Saturday 29 October 2022

WHAT'S IN A NAME?

 



Many people have nicknames that are used to identify and sometimes to describe them.

Most are created and used in their schooldays and get left behind as they grow older. Some endure and sit uncomfortably when the person's physical attributes change:

  • Curly for someone who once had curly hair and is now bald.
  • Red or Rusty for someone who once had red hair but has now turned grey.
  • Bunter for someone who had been a bit fat but now is lean.
  • Speedy for someone who was once a fast runner but now uses a walker.
  • Specs or Brains for someone who once wore spectacles but now uses contact lenses
  • etc.

Of course people's actual names are often shortened or changed and these endure:

  • Al for Albert.
  • Kate for Katherine.
  • Rick or Rich for Richard.
  • Reb or Bob for Robert
  • Pete for Peter.
  • Larry for Lawrence
  • etc.

Often when people at an older age get into relationships and/or marry are given or choose nicknames out of (hopefully) affection.
I refer to Lynn as The Old Girl or Her Indoors or She Who Must Be Obeyed in some of my blogs and often call her Hoss at home. She in turn calls me Matey. This has been the case for over 30 years now and has kind of stuck - but only for each other in private.

I remember my father calling my mother Jimmy! I don't recall her having a nickname for him but she did often say to us kids "your dad's a heathen".

I've overheard my sister calling her husband Binky.

I don't know if Richard or Robert have 'at home' nicknames other than probably, Hey You or Stop Thief.*

Maybe they can share that with us sometime.

When I was a kid the daughters of my fathers business partner used to call me Petey Pops. It used to embarrass hell out of me.






* A Spike Milligan joke.



5 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

More importantly, I can't get into my Sky Pass account to watch the ABs and I don't know how to watch the woman, so I've decided that's it for me with rugby. I've been a loyal fan for over 60 years but this is how it ends. Arrivederci rugby.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Sorry to hear that.
I'm watching both at the same time on 2 different tabs on the study computer.
Sky Sport for the ABs and Spark Sport for the Black Ferns.

I guess you've tried it all but give it another go:

Google Sky Sport NZ or Sky Fan Pass and buy a 1 week subscription.

Google Spark Sport and buy a 1 month pass (19.99. or 24.99) depending on whether you have a Spark account.

Hope it works.

Sorry but your eye-tie dames lost to France.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

By the way - which woman were you hoping to watch?

Richard (of RBB) said...

Portia, but it's okay, she's gay. Great player.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Is she? I didn't know.
I imagine that Robert doesn't approve but, mind you, he won't be able to accuse her of having abortions and murdering babies.