Wednesday 3 January 2024

CAN I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION FOR A MOMENT?

We had an insight into Richard's cuisine in his latest and long overdue post.

Normally this is Robert's domain and a function that he's been woefully remiss on recently even though he has been posting. 

Richard chose to post the following images which, I have to admit are underwhelming although The New Different Time Zone Bill did warn us. See: HERE





The more observant reader will notice that Richard's choice of pasta doesn't draw from the finest examples of Italian cuisine. Maybe he's been too busy practising on his fiddle.

Apparently, not a fiddle.

I've never been a fan of canned spaghetti and can (see what I did there?) only remember tasting it once when I was a child. The slimy, squirmy and slushy texture put me off for life.

I am partial however to canned baked beans. Desiring some for lunch today led to the writing of this post.


Alas, the cupboard was bare so I'll make do with canned red salmon on toast which is another favourite. The Old Girl prefers fresh salmon which she pan fries but I find this to be too rich.

Anyway, this got me thinking about canned foods in general. Google informed me that the seven worst  canned foods to buy are:

  • Canned fruit in syrup. 
  • Canned soup. 
  • Canned vegetables. 
  • Canned pre-cooked pasta. 
  • Canned chili. 
  • Canned baked beans. 
  • Canned sausage and spam.
The obvious reason is the very high sugar and sodium content of these with world health authorities warning against them. They admit that the popularity of this type of foodstuff is in ... the very high sugar and sodium content.

I'm pleased to say that out of the maleficent seven, the only one I eat is baked beans and then only rarely (certainly not today).

The internet also informed me that canned foods have other dangers, the most serious being Bisphenol A (BPA) which is a chemical used in linings in metal food and drink cans, jar lids, and bottle caps. Although many manufacturers have removed BPA from their canned food linings some products still contain BPA included.
BPA can be eliminated by supporting liver detoxification and cultivating a healthy microbiome with organic foods, antioxidants, and specific supplements. Research shows that BPA is excreted in sweat—exercise, sauna therapy, and adequate water intake support this pathway.

Yeah, good luck with that and I can't see Richard of Richard's Bass Bag doing a lot of that.

BPA, in addition to being associated with heart disease and some cancers is also linked to Alzheimer-type conditions and brain disorders.

Perhaps this explains how very old people become lost and confused when attempting everyday activities. 


"Am I home?"


 

3 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Well, that was a happy little post!
To be honest, that canned spaghetti was pretty awful (especially the meatballs). The last time I opened a can of spaghetti I was probably about twenty.

Richard (of RBB) said...

But thanks for the lecture anyway.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

No problem. I like to help out.