Sunday 14 January 2024

2024 SANDBAR PARTY

2024

 Yesterday the annual sandbar party took place.

2024


This has been an annual event since 2011 only with 2021 and 2022 not being held due to COVID gathering restrictions.

There wasn't as much turnout as in previous years and, without the big music boat, not as much fun.

2020

2020

I've posted on the sandbank party before:

2023

2020

2011

This year I didn't kayak out but saw some of the activity from our deck. To be honest we'd forgotten about it and wasn't aware that it was on. I should have known by the increased boating activity in the late morning and early afternoon and the presence of some idiot jet-skiers and power boaters who were driving too fast and dangerously. I said to The Old Girl "I wish that I had the authority as a marine warden or something (not Beach Patrol Pete BEACH POLICE PETE) to fine or ban these idiots." Soon after we heard a police siren and looked out to see that the coast guard patrol boat had pulled over one of the goons and was giving him a ticket. It was then that we realised that it was the sandbank party. 


It used to be 'open slather' with boats zooming and zipping around driven by drunken skippers but back in 2020 I think it was, the coast guard has been making a presence. We heard the siren go several times through the afternoon. I wish that our officers were armed like the USA ones and that their boats had cannon aboard that they could use to blow the jet-skiers out of the water.



4 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Good how you take it all so lightly.







NOT

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I've actually mellowed.
Haven't you noticed?
Maybe it's time to wheel out The Irascible Old Bastard again.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Was it the coast guard or police? I often see police launching from the Seaview marina,or the bigger police launch coming over from Wellington, but I have not seen anything marked coast guard!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Coast guard I think. There are only two maritime police boats in New Zealand - one in Auckland and one in Wellington.