Sunday 28 January 2024

IN A WHILE I'LL BE BACK ON MY TRAIN

 I'm off to Wellington next Friday.

The more unkind reader might suggest that I'm escaping the North because it will be the 'long' Waitangi weekend and it won't be safe up here.

Maybe there is a bit of truth to that but, if I hadn't made long range plans I would like to stay to see that twat David Seymour and his 'boss' the egg Luxon get their arses kicked by Maori.


One of the things I'll be doing in Wellington is to visit my sister in Waikanae.

To get there I'll take the train which, on the Kapiti Coast line is the outstanding railcar that I'm sure most Wellingtonians take for granted. This trip takes in the stunning and world-beating Paekakariki to Pukerua Bay section. I never tire of that view.


I love travelling by train - I might have mentioned that before.

This post was prompted by my listening to a Supertramp song - 'Rudy' which has a train ride as the theme.

Rudy's on a train to nowhere, halfway down the line
He don't want to get there, but he needs time
He ain't sophisticated, nor well-educated
After all the hours he wasted, still he needs time ...

... Now he's just come out the movie
Numb of all the pain,
Sad but in a while he'll soon be
Back on his train

 


 I'd disappoint readers if I didn't put in links to another couple of train themed songs that were contemporaneous to Supertramp's.

Locomotive Breath

On The Run


No doubt you have your favourite train songs. Robert I guess would pick The Band's 'The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down' unless there's a song about angels and trains - maybe this one: CALLING ALL ANGELS

Richard no doubt will have many train themed songs to call on and has probably played quite a few like 'Midnight Train To Georgia', 'Slow Train', 'Night Train', 'Blue Train', 'Take The A Train', 'The Orange Blossom Special' etc. He probably still listens though to 'Peace Train' and 'Last Train To Clarkesville' while reminiscing on his glory days in the 6th form.


2 comments:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

"Virgil Caine is my name and I drove on the Danville train,
'Til so much cavalry came and tore up the tracks again
In the winter of 65. we were hungry just barely alive
I took the train to Richmond that fell
It was a time I remember oh so well.

The night they drove old dixie down ..."

Yep, good song.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Chalk up one for The Curmudgeon.